21 February 2016

Sturle Dagsland - Guaifing



Another quick review for me here in the shape of a single from Norwegian artist Sturle Dagsland, with the lead track of a forthcoming EP.  But before we look at the track, let us look at the band...... Coming from Stavangerin the south of Norway, the band (according to their Facebook page) consist of Sturle & Sjur Dagsland.  For live purposes, Live Members (as of 2015) are Sturle Dagsland, Sjur Dagsland, Eirik Heggen & Carl Tomas Reodor Nising Sandvold.  According to the press release I got, this is how their music sounds - They alternate at playing on an array of instruments and electronics, harmonically creating an expressive-progressive ever-changing soundscape dominated by Sturle's unrestrained innovative vocals ranging from ravening ferocious screams to virtuous angelic chanting. I have not changed a world of that section of the release as it was so well written that I did not want to put my clumsy hands on top of it.  But the song itself, well that is something that I will write about......



Guaifing starts off with a sound mixes many style; I am hearing vocal styles that would not be ut of place in the camps of the native American's, I am hearing sounds from Northern Europe, the opening section has an Oriental feeling you hear words in various language, there is an atmospheric chill out section, there is trip hop and at one point I thought it was going to go metal.  It has an avant-garde approach to sound and song, bring together many styles and making all of them work together to form one of the most original pieces of music I have heard this year.  Now, I would love to give this a higher mark, but I cannot totally gauge the band based on one song.  But what a song it is, I look forward to hearing the rest of the EP as this song has a good chance of being in the race for song of the year for this blog.

4 out of five - This is really good, well worth checking out

Top track - well, saying as there is only one song it is Guaifing

You can purchase Guaifing from Amazon here


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate