6 October 2015

Return To The Sun - ElevenFiftySeven


Scotland is truly rocking at the moment - here we have another Scottish band, this time it is Edinburgh based act Return to the Sun.  Formed in 2013, they have been moving fast to get themselves around.  With one single and an EP already released within a short period of time, they have also featured on XFM, BBC Introducing, they have had press in the Guardian, NME and they have played at The Great Escape Festival and all around the country.  They list themselves as heavy rambunctious (an American term meaning uncontrollably exuberant; boisterous) indie rumble, looking at their list of influences that sounds about right.  This is a review of their upcoming EP which is going to be released on 7 December 2015 (this is right, so we have an advance review for you here).  So without further ado, time to review the EP.

The first track on the EP is "Static" which has comes out with a loud riff from the beginning, heavy is the right word for this band but indie is not the word I would have used is punk.  More specifically I would use the words emotional punk, now this is not emo - that fashion disaster - no, this reminds me of Hundred Reasons and Far which are two of the emotional rock/punk acts that ever existed.  This reminds me of the first time I heard each of those acts and gives the same sort of excitement.  "Waiting to Arrive" is a heart breaker of a song, very reminiscent of the Ataris and Biffy Clyro - it has a huge sound that riff and sounds as if it should be a single, it is a giant of a song and I can see what all the fuss is about. It does not have the pace of "Static", but if everything was at that speed the EP would be over very quickly.  It has been on repeat since I have first heard it, top track of the EP.  The third song is "Electrical Bugs" is the track where the indie side of the band shines a lot more for me, there is more Foals to the sound than anything else for me and the song is as strong as anything that the band have done on this EP and their earlier works as well - once more I am loving the song itself and it complements the previous tracks.  The penultimate song of the EP is called "Velvet Sky" is continuing the slower trend of the EP from the explosion of "Static", it still has loud moments with another huge chorus in this song about love and its usual pitfalls.  It is so close to being the song of the EP, a hairs whisker is all that stood between that and "Waiting to Arrive", but it is down to personal taste and nothing else - both songs are tremendous.  Ending the EP is "Until I Fall Asleep" which starts with an acoustic guitar and lavish strings to stir the heart strings as things are drawing to a close, it has a horn section towards the end, a beautiful chorus and gentle lyrics that will melt the hardest of hearts.  Whilst I prefer some of the other tracks on this EP, it is still the right track to end proceedings here.

This EP is a joy to the ears, with every track making an instant impression on the listener.  I still think that this has more punk in it than they might want to admit - but the word rambunctious is a perfect word to describe them.  Full of energy, passion and making the world a brighter place whilst their music was playing - I wish I knew what the title of the EP meant, I am sure I will find out one day.  Anyway, long story short - I am glad that they have came on my radar, buy this on 7th December - you will not be disappointed.

5 out of five - I wish I had extra ears to love this more

Top track - Waiting to Arrive

You can follow the activities of Return to the Sun on Facebook here

You can visit the Return to the Sun website here 

Normally I would link to the EP or album on Spotify, Deezer, etc - this is not the case at the moment.  Once it is released, I will update the links below, but until then.....

Here is a link to their Spotify page, which has their current releases 

Here is a link to their Deezer page, which has their current releases

Here is a link to their Tidal page, which has their current releases 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate