18 November 2014

Ginger Wildheart - G.A.S.S. Month 7


We’re over the halfway hurdle with the GASS project now, there’s less to come than has been. That makes me a bit sad. I suppose there’s a chance that Ginger may continue it once it’s over but for now, there’s a countdown to the end.
Straight to it then; the lead track is a typical, mid-tempo bouncy rock song, the sort Ginger does so well. It’s called Mr T and Me. On first listen I assumed it was regarding the mohicaned 80’ hero who pitied the fool but it soon becomes obvious that it’s about Ginger’s youngest son Taylor (who also crops up on backing vocal later on), how he looks up to Ginger as a Dad/Super Hero and how much Ginger wants to live up to that expectation. It’s a cute song that manages not to be too sickly! Aptly, Ginger performs every instrument on this song himself.
Location, Location, Location is another mid-paced rocker though this time much less positive than Mr T and Me. It’s a dark song that I think’s about dealing with depression. Like I’ve said in past reviews, a lot of Ginger’s songs take a few listens before you can properly enjoy them and Location, Location, Location is just so. I hadn’t realised I’d even listened to it the first couple of times, it just didn’t really stand out. Once I got more familiar with it though, I really liked it. It’s a very hummable song for one with such dour lyrics.
One Way Down is a slow, pseudo-psychedelic song, in much the same vein as last Months’ The Whiskey And You. It's another melancholic, depressing song that seems to be aimed at someone in particular. The melody kind of reminds me of some of The Beatles driftier, more introspective stuff. I wouldn’t rank it as the most essential of GASS songs but neither is it bad by any means. Peculiarly, it's titled as It's No Good as opposed to One Way Down on the main G.A.S.S. page. Not sure why.
The first of the bonus tracks is It’s Only Natural, a demo version of the song You’re The One, You’re The One, Yeah I Know You’re The One, You’re the One (Yeah I know You’re The One) from 2012’s 555%. It’s a pretty good quality demo and the two songs are completely unalike. I think I may prefer It’s Only Natural, if only because its’ title is so much easier to type! The verses have an almost disco beat to them and a great winding little riff. The chorus is really good and it’s odd that it was replaced by another.

The fifth and final song is The Thin Line (Between Love And Insanity). Ginger himself isn’t completely sure where this song originates from; though he thinks it may be from the same Supergroup project that Shine (from GASS Month 5) came from. This song is far superior; It’s much more aggressive and driven by a big chugging riff. It suits Ginger’s vocal style way more. Parts of the music remind me of Velvet Revolver at their edgiest and there’s a line that’s repeated in the song that goes “Mama’s little problem is a big one now”; I don’t know if it’s intentional or not but it’s very reminiscent of the line in Nirvana’s Negative Creep “Daddy’s little girl ain’t a girl no more”. 
3 out of 5 – Decent, getting there

Best Track: Mr T And Me

Visit the GASS Site HERE
Read my reviews of the previous Months HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate