27 October 2014

Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

Hi all. Pete here. Yes, I still work here, and have asked to end my long period of self imposed gardening leave to join in with this year's Mercury Music prize coverage.
Like the rebel I am (maybe just disorganised) I have waited til the last moment, late even, to turn in my homework. This is the last review of the nominees, the rest can be found here.
I was given Bombay Bicycle Club, a band who have so far stayed off my radar. "So Long, See You Tomorrow" is their fourth album.

So Bombay Bicycle Club are a Indie Folk band from Crouch End, London. Like I said, off my radar. Ask me to name one of their songs. I can't. Well, now I can :). Is it cool to end a sentence with a smiley?

So immediately I'm aware that this is a band who have their niche 4 albums in. Which is not to say they have a defined sound or anything, just that they sound like I thought they would, and are obviously very talented.

"So Long, See You Tomorrow" does show a progression from previous albums into electronica, sampling and World Music influences (the album was written during front man Jack Steadman's travels through Turkey India and Japan) and contains many more instruments and hence less guitar than previous efforts. Which is a shame. I like guitar music. I do now intend to study up on BBC due to the curiosity of what earlier stuff sounded like. I liked this album, but it does kind of wash over you. Over me. Put it this way, I would never choose to hear anything on this album. It may sound harsh, and I don't mean it to. My music taste is probably a bit to simplified. The production here is brilliant. The album was recorded in the band's own studio and produced by Steadman with mixing help from Mark Rankin, whose credits include "Like Clockwork" by Queens of the Stone Age.

The album is awash with guitars, strings and electronic sounds, and I could pretend I was musically cultured enough to investigate each track as a case in point.  Instead, I will say that it's easy to see why this album hit number one, and why Bombay Bicycle Club are an accomplished festival act.  Bombastic opener "Overdone" was my highlight.

I'm giving this a 6 because musically it's brilliant, but not for me.

6/10 - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there.

Top track - Overdone







No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate