30 April 2014

Pixies - Indie Cindy


As promised after I reviewed the EP's on one blog (cleverly linked here) here is a review of the album.  Now I am not going to go into each song like I have done before; it would be a waste of time and you can read what I think on the other blog linked above.  What I want to do here is to look at the work as an album and to give a view on the project itself.  First off, I think this album can be seen as very lazy in that it just cobbles together the EP's and sell it as the new album; the music snob in me (sometimes I wish he would shut up) finds it hard to see this as anything but a rip as the original fans who purchased the EP's are now not gonna have an exclusive release.  In that harsh light it looks like a bad deal, but that is a pretty harsh mind set there.

However, after consideration I found a way to get over this (apart from giving myself a damm good slap).  This presentation the music is now in a physical copy that all fans can purchase.  Granted, it has mixed up the tracks in the way they were released on the EP's and the packaging which has all the EP covers in it, as well as the lyrics in a cool leaflet is hands down the best packaging I have seen in many a year.  Also if you pick up the deluxe version then you will get a live album as well as a secret track.  In that light, the album makes more sense as it is offering the more casual of fans a change to own something special.


So onto the actual album itself, how has mixing the EPs up affected the actual music.  Well to be honest it actually works much better, it has more of a flow and is about the same as I had predicted in my head when I heard it would be the EPs thrown together.  It ebbs and flows with a great fluency and makes for a great album.  Now here is the bedrock of all people's thoughts - is it better or equal to their classic period?  To be honest, it is not better than the classic albums; however it is at least equal to 'Trompe Le Monde' and in someways it was always going to be a hard job for any release that has came after that twenty three year wait since their last work.  But if you look at it as an individual album then it is a very good record, will it mature into a classic?  Well it is a possibility that it might, but that is for future discussion.  For now, let's just enjoy the album for what it is - fun.

8 out of ten - Oh, now you have my attention and maybe my money, time and heart

Top track - Another Toe In The Ocean


You can purchase the album from Spotify here

You can visit the Pixies website here

Here is the Deezer link for the album

Here is the Spotify link for the album

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate