1 October 2013

Lords Of Bastard - Cuddles


And now part two of my personal look at those crazy Sons of The North, the psycho Lords of Bastard!  As stated in my review of their brilliant first album Lords of Bastards - cleverly linked here, these guys are from Edinburgh, Scotland and made their first release in 2007.  This album is their second which came out last year in 2012.  The last blog got a nice response, and it would be good to see this one do similar if possible; even with the cover which is one of the most freaky I have seen for a while. Of course this means I love it....

Now there has been a change for the band in some ways since that first release and it a change for the better.  Whilst their first release was a mix of sludge & psychedelic rock, this time there is a healthy dose of prog music mixed in with a bit more Faith No More/Mr Bungle as well for the offering together with some meaty riffs and break downs.  In fact the more I listen to this album, the more I have come to realise that these guys really did add more with a keyboard player being added their ranks, the production job on this record is also fantastic and the overall performance improved as well after the first one (which I really enjoyed as well).



On this release everything is more measured, it feels like the band is full of confidence and the band going for an exciting new direction.  Songs such as the brutal opening "Ghost Time" with its haunted mix of Opeth, Melvins and Sugar (as well as a giant scoop of sludge sensibilities), "I'm In My Walls" which just flat out rocks like a motherfucker and tries to steal the gold from your teeth whilst your eating (also my personal favourite of the album), Harder Than Cars which sounds like Sabbath and Ghost having a wrestling match for the soul of Tony Iommi's original riff sound and the towering riff monster that is "Lord Of Murphy" which along with "Squirrel Mirror" brings this nine track album to a fantastic conclusion.


The improvement on a fantastic debut for this band with 'Cuddles' cannot be understated; quite frankly it is stunning to say the least.  Both albums have their different charms; LoB was their debut and them tell the world to take notice.  On this release it is much more confident, it feels like a band who knows exactly where it wants to go, not just making a statement of intent; where they go from here will be anyone's guess (including the band's I'm guessing).  I'm hoping that it is released soon, as two albums from these crazy men is not enough for me - I want more crazy in my life.  

 
8 out of ten - Oh, now you have my attention and maybe my money, time and heart

You can purchase the album from Amazon here

There is no band website, but you can keep up to date with their activities on Facebook

You can also visit the band's Bandcamp page here


You can listen to the album on Spotify here 

 
Here is a video for "Fourth Dimension Hand Gesture (John)"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate