19 October 2013

Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance


When I am working through the bands I have been meaning to get to, I came across a band I loved back in the day - Corrosion of Conformity.  But there was a whole period of their work which past me by, which started with this album 'Deliverance'.  Before hand, the band had been a punk/trash crossover and they were incredible cool and harsh.  But for some reason I drifted by the time this album came out, it had nothing to do with the change of direction or singer; I was onto other things.  So putting aside the quest for new music (or old music) I have never heard I am going to hear something I have listened to before, but for this life of me cannot remember.  This was the fourth release and the first with Pepper Keenan on lead vocals; plus it also marks a change in direction for the band - out was the trash/punk mash up, in was the Sabbath worshipping riff monster that would shape the Keenan vocal era (and eventually lead to his involvement with Down).

From the off the band are setting out their new wears out on display with a healthy dose of Southern American blues metal via North Carolina.  The big dose of boogie and stoner rhythm the dynamic of the band change dramatically and they make for a fatter riff and slower delivery than before.  From this album ”Albatross" and "Clean My Wounds" were big hits for them back in the day and gave them a lot more publicity.  The album is very slick and the sound is big as well; it is a lot bigger than their other works as well as they were used to the short sharp shock before.

And that is the problem for me with this album; I don't mind the album at all; there is not a bad part of this album.  In fact in some ways it should be a great album for me - but that is the problem for me.  I should like it, but it does not give me the buzz that I should have; it just leaves me cold.  This is nothing to do with the band or the performance and I don't understand what is wrong with this for me.  It is just an average metal stoner record for me; if you are into this thing then this will float your boat.  I just wish it did the same for me and I guess that I just prefer them more punky and spikey.

6 out of ten - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there


You can purchase Deliverance from Amazon here

You can visit the Corrosion of Conformity website here

You can listen to the album on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate