18 September 2013

Groop Dogdrill - Half Nelson


Whilst I was reviewing the latest Black Spider album the other day (cleverly highlights back there for you viewing pleasure), it was point out by Luke that the lead vocalist used to sing in a band called Groop Dogdrill.  This is something that I never picked up on to be honest; the image has changed quite a lot.  Back when he was in Groop Dogdrill, he has a more of a punk/rockabilly look; whilst now he has the big beard and long hair look of a stoner rock god.  I saw these guys back in 1997 or 1998 supporting the Wildhearts in a place called The Riverside.  For a support band they got quite a long set, and put on quite a high level of punk fuel raged which had the teenage in me jumping around like a loon.  Then I promptly forgot about them apart from that drunken memory that I really should check them out again.  So after being rather disdainful of his current band, I feel that I should also look at his previous band which entertained me so much.

From the off, the vibe is stomping punk, pure and destructive punk that is all spiky and prickly.  Songs such as "Oily Rag" (the only song I had of theirs for many a year and what a song it is), "Jackie O" and "Hessus" are all of a high quality; the energy that went in this work is frantic.  Indeed, the music behind "Lovely Skin" and others is just fantastic, these guys were getting a good reputation when it all went to wall with the usual array of label, management and funding problems caused the band to fold.  Indeed I have a feeling that if these guys had have been making bigger waves than they initially made.

Lyrically, just like The Black Spiders, the lyrics are all about lovely women, having good times and revenge.  But where it sometimes feels incredibly creepy with the Black Spiders, in here it seems to work; maybe that is because punk is slightly more dirty and sordid, I don't why it works, it just does.  Also, there is a more naive charm about these guys.  There is an innocence about the work on offer, it is like the boy who has just found his first swear word - he has no idea what it means, but he is going to use it as often as possible because it gets attention.  It is fun, it is bouncy and it works even with the blinkers of age attached to my face.  Much better than what came afterwards, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so much better than what came afterwards.


8.5 out of ten - Oh, now you have my attention and maybe my money, time and heart

You can purchase the album from Amazon here

With the band being long gone, there is no website

You can listen to the album on Spotify here

Here is a link to the video for "Lovely Skin"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate