16 August 2013

Eureka Machines - Do or Die

As soon as I became a member of this fine team, I claimed the Eureka Machines albums.  And I was very excited to share my thoughts. I got into them thanks to Ginger Wildheart, who has pointed me in the direction of many awesome bands.

Anyway, it's taken me this long (and a Eureka Machines gig) and half a summer to start. So much so that I graciously let Luke review the latest album. Read that here. But for us, readers; we go back to the beginning.

The debut album is called Do or Die. Well they did.  And they didn't die.  But is it any good?

Eureka Machines are based in Leeds in the North of England.  They were formed in 2007 by Chris Catalyst of Antiproduct, Sisters of Mercy, The Scaramanga Six, God Damn Whores (with Ginger Wildheart) and various others.  The guy is a busy man.  He's also super talented, and plays piano, trombone and xylophone on this album too.  The rest of the band are Davros (guitar/backing vocals), Pete Human (bass/backing vocals) and Wayne Insane on drums.

The album was self produced and released in September 2008 on Wrath records a real independent label set up by members of The Scaramanga Six.  2008 saw Eureka Machines support The Wildhearts at Shepherd's Bush Empire.  History lesson over.  What about the tunes?

'Do or Die' has been described as 'Power Pop'.  I hate musical genres, a new one seems to be invented every week, but I'll go along with this.  The songs are feel-good tunes, anecdotal, and easy to identify with.  Chris Catalyst's Leeds accent shines through, particularly on 'Red Wine Smile'.  I like this, in much the same way as I enjoy listening to Terrorvision.

'Scream Eureka' begins the album, and it is a call to arms, a rallying cry to get behind this band and bounce.  'The Story of My Life' picks you up by the scruff of your neck and makes you bounce.  Catchy, riff-laden and absolutely explosive live, as it develops into a monster, Wildhearts style.  Go see them.  I'm right.

The harmonies and backing vocals across the album are perfect, the musical style almost cabaret.  There's even a lovely ballad here, in 'The One Who Wouldn't Change You'.  The title track does exactly what it says on the tin, too.  Another call to arms to get your arse up and do something with yourself.

By the time 'The Light at the End of the Tunnel' closes out the album, it's impossible not to have a smile on your face, and possibly a few goose-pimples.  I also really like the idea that

"the light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train".

Class lyric, that.

10/10: This is proof that there is a God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate