12 July 2013

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason



I was given a sandy tape with a well worn cover in about 1993, and a tape of Rush I believe – the one about there being trouble in the forest, by my uncle who had played them in his tourist operations truck he drove whilst working and living in Africa.

I found they went well with The Lord of The Rings books I was reading at the time and provided fantastic audio/visual escapism on my Sony walkman.  I was very proud of that walkman (who wouldn’t be!) – and I get the same sense of enjoyment of the music today in 2013 – over 20 years or more after my first listen. My favourite tracks were, and still are-number 2, 4 and 5: Learning to Fly; One Slip; and On the Turning Away.  


Now that is music that has aged well – weathered the ridiculous uninventive copycat track user dubstep storm and other styles and fashion statements that have come and gone.

They did not always sound like this, their earlier albums attest to a more youthful and messy exuberance, yet the quintessential Pink Floyd-ness for me was in there – in the harmonics and style, and the atmospheric build up. 


Momentary Lapse of Reason takes you to a place of water and anger and hope, and a sense that they were actually writing to a set of epic tales in their own minds.  Maybe they were, who knows, maybe they had just calmed down a bit and wanted to write something that supported their art installation videos, which I also strongly approve of.  


I am not sure who told them to go more to atmospherics for this album – with the beautiful harmonised expressed anger and the careful arranged dynamic – maybe the drugs told them – maybe it was the change of writing direction (more likely) but it really, really works.

This won’t be for everyone – it is sometimes referred to as ‘Dad Music’ – but certainly for a 13 year old girl geek and a 33 year old woman geek – it’s everyone’s and anyone’s who chooses to have taste! ;-)


10 out of 10 – this is proof that there is a god.

You can purchase one of the versions of the album from Amazon here


Here is a link to the Wikipedia page about this album

You can visit the band's website here


You can listen to the album on Spotify here

Here is a live version of the song "Learning To Fly" from the P.U.L.S.E tour



No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate