8 July 2013

Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More

So. Apparently I still work here. I should probably get to work.
This here post is part of my homework backlog. The idea is, we are all given albums that the Boss thinks we'll hate.

As you can see, I was given Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons.


I knew a little bit about this band already. I knew they were "folk" and "indie darlings". I knew they had that song about really fucking it up this time my Dear. And I knew that they must have been a canny big deal, as they were never off the radio in 2009/10.

Sigh No More is the debut album from Mumford & Sons.  One of them's actually called Mumford.  I don't think the rest of the band are his Sons though.  It's 4 times Platinum now, and has won them many awards, including a Best Album Brit, but not the coveted Mercury Music Prize.  They lost out to The XX.  Who??

So.  Eddie reckons this wouldn't be to my taste.  Was reviewing Sigh No More torture for me, or was the joke on Eddie?  A little from Column A, a little from Column B it seems.

It turns out I knew more of the songs on this album than I thought.  All the singles, to be fair.  Today I gave this it's third spin, in my garden, collecting my thoughts on my tablet.  [Side note: posting blogs via tablet is a bit hard actually, probably easier by phone.  But now that it's quiet, and I can sit at my trusty massive PC, I can articulate my thoughts much more quickly].

I had a nice time in the garden today.  It may be that this album is perfect for days like today.  Before I pressed PLAY, I was dreading it.  I didn't want to be bored to tears again like with Death Cab for Cutie. (Plug alert: Check out my Transatlanticism review here.

So I wasn't bored!  It was really nice.  I felt totally relaxed, chilled out and happy.  I sang along to the bits I knew, and enjoyed the parts I didn't.  The album kind of washed over me, but in a really good way.  I know I'll have to be in the mood for it in order to listen again, but I probably will.  Lyrically, it's amazing.  The Manics fan in me appreciated how intelligent the songs were.  Apparently, the title track is named after a line from Much Ado About Nothing and contains more lines from the play.  Not that I noticed.  I'm not really a Shakespeare nerd.

Standout tracks for me were Little Lion Man, obviously, Thistle and Weeds and Awake My Soul.  I really didn't like I Gave You All (it tries too hard).  All in all, this is a solid effort.  It's easy to see why Radio 1 jumped all over this.  It almost pains me to do this (I scoffed when I was given this assignment, and prepared my red biro for use) but it gets:

7/10: This is good and well worth a check.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate