9 July 2013
Morrissey - Vauxhall And I
Let me start with this fact - Morrissey the person is someone that I find extremely annoying. His opinions about meat eating, the environment and other things just make me want to lock him up in a room with padded walls (although he is a massive Conservative hater as well, so not all bad - shame he is an alleged UKIP enthusiast). His stupid stunts like having old pictures of national front people at big gigs and generally being a tosser makes him someone hard to love. Musically though, that is a different matter. His work in The Smiths and also his early solo stuffs is not too shabby as well. At the time of this album, Morrissey had lost three close friends - Mick Ronson (ex guitarist of David Bowie), Tim Broad (video director) and Nigel Thomas (his old manager). Morrissey in his over dramatic way thought his time was short as well and set out to make an album like no other that he had made before.
This is a very dark piece of work, even against the legend of a man who wrote a song called "Girlfriend In A Coma". This is not something to listen to on a happy sunny day. This is an album for the darker places of the heart, it is for the days when everything has gone wrong and you need to have something as mournful as the view of the world that you have discovered yourself in. With the opening track "Now My Heart Is Full" it is obvious that the world is just too much for Mr M. It does not brighten up on "Spring Heeled Jim" and it keeps on going darker with "Billy Budd" and even on the first single "The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get" (a song which is either about stalking or being dumped - or both maybe). Honest, each time I hear this album I feel that the world is a little better after the end, but in a good way.
Now not all is fine and dandy in the world of Mozza here. You cannot listen to this album with the slightest cloud in your life, in fact even if you’re happy this might not be for you. It is not a nice place; the overall view of the album is that the world is fucked and that the end of times cannot come soon enough. However, if this is an album that is played at the end of time, it will still sound very pretty. From the open track to the epic conclusion of "Speedway" (by far and above the best ever song that Morrissey have ever wrote) this is his best solo album, bar none. This might make the mark a little confusing, but in the overall scheme of things it makes perfect sense. This might be his best solo work, but my god it is still a difficult album to love. If I was asked where people should start with Morrissey, I would say here, but beware - this is not a nice place to live.
7 out of ten - This is good and well worth a check
You can purchase from here
You can visit Morrissey's unofficial solo site here
You can listen to the album on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Katy Perry - One Of The Boys
- Motörhead - March Or Die
- Palms - Palms
- Aura Noir - Out To Die
- Druganaut - Druganaut
- Starz - Starz
- Amon Tobin - Supermodified
- Earth Crisis - Slither
- Within Temptation - The Q-Music Sessions
- Ben Folds - Way To Normal
- Slash's Snakepit - It's Five O Clock Somewhere...
- Jupiter Society - From Endangered To Extinct
- Robert Plant - Fate of Nations
- We Are The In Crowd - Best Intentions
- Queen & Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks
- Teeth Of Lions Rules The Divine - Rampton
- The Creep Void - Apotheosis
- Eddie Spaghetti - The Value Of Nothing
- The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
- Half Man Half Biscuit - Trouble Over Bridgwater
- Velvet Revolver - Libertad
- Arcite - The Escape Key
- Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
- Kiss - Love Gun
- Machine Head - Hellalive
- Faith No More - The Real Thing
- Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
- Zero 7 - When It Falls
- Exxasens - Eleven Miles
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze
- Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
- Beth Jean Houghton & The Hooves of Destiny - Yours...
- Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
- Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won (Live Album)
- Tricky - Maxinquaye
- Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen
- The Duckworth Lewis Method - The Duckworth Lewis M...
- Queens of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
- Morrissey - Vauxhall And I
- Boris - Pink
- Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
- Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
- VerseChorusVerse - VCV EP
- Within Temptation - The Silent Force
- Guns 'n' Roses - Chinese Democracy
- Reel Big Fish - Why Do They Rock So Hard?
- Vision of Disorder - From Bliss To Devestation
- Paloma Faith - Fall To Grace
- Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union
- Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising
- Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
- The Divine Comedy - Casanova
- Blur - The Great Escape
- A day of rest - catch up and the launch of Love & ...
- ▼ July (54)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Ryan Hamilton is an all-round legend in my books. I recently conducted an interview with him for my radio show on NE1FM called Attentio...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Ghost//Signals are one of my favourite groups in Newcastle right now, together with The NX, Dunes and Waheela. Last year, their second s...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...