14 July 2013
Kiss - Love Gun
Now for the second post of the "Revenge" blogs. This was picked by Chris Jermyn and is the sixth release by the American rock band Kiss. I have a feeling that the one he wanted to pick for me was 'Dynasty' which was the Kiss disco album; however this is the one he has picked for me - no changing the pick! This was the last album to feature the original line up as drummer Pete Crisis was out of the band by the time the next album was released. At the time of this release the band had been on the constant tour/album/tour treadmill for many years and the fans wanted more and more - this was their second album within 7 months. Kiss obviously provided what the fans want (sometimes to the point of overkill and ripping off the fans with all the various tie in's and merchandise - but I will not go into that one). However I will go on about Love Gun the album now.
This album does hold one bonafide Kiss classic song which has been performed on every tour since the release of this album - the title track "Love Gun". This is the best song on the album; it is the Paul Stanley's most favourite Kiss track and is a quality tune. Shame I cannot say this about the rest of the album to be honest. Opening with "I Stole Your Love" and followed by the counterpart to "Goin' Blind" from Hotter Than Hell - the song "Christine, Sixteen" (a song which had Eddie & Alex Van Halen on the demo) go past at a nice rate, but they don't really stick in my mind.
The same happens with "Got Love For Sale", "Tomorrow & Tonight" and "Plaster Caster" - it is all well played, but does nothing for me what so ever. They are just nice song, but when did Kiss become nice? A few of the songs actually make me want to hit the skip button. "Hooligan" and "Almost Human" are just poor songs which should not have graced the album at all. I will also not even grace the last track with a remark other than this - what a shite cover that was! The only other song which comes close to the title track is "Shock Me" which was the first Kiss song to have Ace Frehley and based about the time that he was electrocute on stage in 1976. It is a beautiful number with one of the finest Kiss guitar solos, if not the finest one the band has ever released.
Overall, this album is not the worst Kiss album I have heard, it is not even the worst album I have listened to this week; but it is poor for their earlier releases. It is a solid record, but it does not have the over the top or even come close to the previous five releases. This is the sound of the machine consuming the members, the end of the originality and also the end of a golden period of rock n' roll. If you need to complete your set, fair enough. I do not understand how this went double platinum within two weeks of release and will just keep shaking my head at it. File under - have you ever felt ripped off....
5 out of ten - It could have been a bit better
You can purchase the album from Amazon here
You can visit the band's website here
You can listen to the album here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Katy Perry - One Of The Boys
- Motörhead - March Or Die
- Palms - Palms
- Aura Noir - Out To Die
- Druganaut - Druganaut
- Starz - Starz
- Amon Tobin - Supermodified
- Earth Crisis - Slither
- Within Temptation - The Q-Music Sessions
- Ben Folds - Way To Normal
- Slash's Snakepit - It's Five O Clock Somewhere...
- Jupiter Society - From Endangered To Extinct
- Robert Plant - Fate of Nations
- We Are The In Crowd - Best Intentions
- Queen & Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks
- Teeth Of Lions Rules The Divine - Rampton
- The Creep Void - Apotheosis
- Eddie Spaghetti - The Value Of Nothing
- The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
- Half Man Half Biscuit - Trouble Over Bridgwater
- Velvet Revolver - Libertad
- Arcite - The Escape Key
- Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
- Kiss - Love Gun
- Machine Head - Hellalive
- Faith No More - The Real Thing
- Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
- Zero 7 - When It Falls
- Exxasens - Eleven Miles
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze
- Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
- Beth Jean Houghton & The Hooves of Destiny - Yours...
- Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
- Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won (Live Album)
- Tricky - Maxinquaye
- Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen
- The Duckworth Lewis Method - The Duckworth Lewis M...
- Queens of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
- Morrissey - Vauxhall And I
- Boris - Pink
- Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
- Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
- VerseChorusVerse - VCV EP
- Within Temptation - The Silent Force
- Guns 'n' Roses - Chinese Democracy
- Reel Big Fish - Why Do They Rock So Hard?
- Vision of Disorder - From Bliss To Devestation
- Paloma Faith - Fall To Grace
- Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union
- Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising
- Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
- The Divine Comedy - Casanova
- Blur - The Great Escape
- A day of rest - catch up and the launch of Love & ...
- ▼ July (54)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Well, what a year it has been for releases. 2015 has been an incredible year for me with records and for the blog as well - ...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
The legend of Bootsy Collins, the image of the man has long been etched into my mind. What can I say here that has not been said b...