14 July 2013

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream









The third of the "Revenge" blogs has been chosen by my loving wife.....what was the crime did I commit to deserve this!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Ok, I will be serious and review this properly.  This is actually the third album by Ms Perry and was released in 2010, like most pop records it has various producers (nine producers in total).  Now I do not know why I feel this, but I get very annoyed when an album has more than two producers; it is an irrational bug bear, I freely admit that it is one of my more unusual things.  It just never leads to a very smooth album; it can lead to good singles but never a good album so far.  Will this album break that rule for me or will it be more of the same.


Now I will admit I have heard quite a lot of this album due to listening to various radio stations.  I am familiar with the songs "E.T.", "Fireworks", "California Gurls" and "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)" - certain songs when they are played all the time just end up sticking around in your head.  When it comes down to sugar pop, Katy Perry is not trying to be anything else than what she is.  There is no denying that too music of this sort of music with give you tooth ache and is dangerous for your health - but some of it is really good quality pop as well.  As I have stated before when it comes to pop music, if it is good I will defend it.  Whilst this is not perfect, I can honestly say I would not turn it over if it was on the radio/TV/internet. Other songs on this album such as "Not Like The Movie" and the album stand out track "Circle The Drain" add to the surprise for this album.  I was expecting to find nothing on here that I would like at all.

I will freely admit that there is a few songs here are obviously filler/shite.  "Peacock" makes me want to reach for my HB pencil ear plugs, "Who Am I Living For" is not too clever as a statement of being in a failing relationship and "Pearl" is just not a good song full stop.  Also, the version on Spotify has five bonus tracks (3 of which are remixes) two are additionally added tracks and that is before the second release of this album with another disc of material.  I don't understand why they do this, release the same album again like this, just release an odds and sods album like the 70's bands did.  Again, this is a personal thing and I have just kept it to the original release.

However, overall this album for what it is cannot be defined as bad.  It is actually not too bad.  But it is not a perfect pop album by any stretch of the imagination, but it is ok; just yet again without having one producer it is not a smooth ride again.  One day someone will release a multi-produced album that I will like.  Till that day I will keep being proven right.  You could listen to a lot worse....

6 out of ten - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there


You can purchase one of the various versions of this album here on Amazon

You can visit her website here

You can listen to the album here on Spotify

Below is the video for E.T.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate