11 June 2013

The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer




After the last two reviews I have been needing something to get excited about - I hate being negative about bands, it might seem weird as I tend to dish out the dirt on here - but after each one I feel sorry for the artist. So I go into this one feeling a little bit scared.  Dillinger Escape Plan is a band that has not done a bad album for me. Granted some have been albums which have not been as accessible to begin with, but I have always gotten there.  Today though I just needed something a little bit more instant in a way, yet I have decided to come to the house where a band who in my mind listen to far too much jazz, metal and Prince come together in on perfect parcel of angry joy.  So I have to listen to this when not being in the mood. Dillinger Escape Plan have been classed as Math-core, Jazz-Metal and even Nu-metal (the person that said this was placed in a cryogen chamber till he was given to an evil lizard in a desert - this has no link a any sci-fi film).  These guys do not do easy listening, so have they kept the course or have they gone in another direction....

First off, the artwork when it was released in the UK was behind a sleeve - what in the blue hell was up with that! Is the great public too scared to see a feather with either ink or blood on it? It is a great piece of art, let alone album cover work.  In the black and grey harsh tones it is just simplistic and compelling.  Now before I go onto the album itself I want to say one thing which is uncommon for a Dillinger Escape Plan work.  It does not push the boat out here.  Now, please do not get me wrong here; this is far from a boring album. It is just sort of like when you think of the Grand Theft Auto series, when they got to the fourth one - it just got a bigger map.  This album is sort of the same - there is no real change of the blueprint, it is just a little bigger.  They have done what AC/DC have done, they have made an album only they can make. Not the same album just expanded the formula.  Sometimes this is bad, but when you can make music as challenging and diverse as this, that is not a bad thing.

What they have changed is how they aim to the fan - you no longer have the need to dance like your having an accident with some water and a fuse box, it comes from the heart in some ways. From "Prancer" to the closing bars of "The Threat Posed By Nuclear Weapons" there is no real let up, even on the slower numbers such as the title track it feels like you are being held captive and compel to view paintings of great wonder against your will.  It is not an easy listen by means, but I do not think it is not without merit or style.  I love how it has a familiar tone, yet it makes me want to come back to "CH 375 268 277 ARS" and "Magic That I Hold You Prisoner" again and again. For the last four days I have had this album on after I have reviewed or being engaged elsewhere in the world.  This is possibly one of the most accessible albums that they have done in some ways as it took me next to no time to get into this, but it has a lot more depth than usual as well. It is like one of this 3d picture when you think you are on the edge of the world yet, yet you are still on the ground. It is an epic release - welcome back Dillinger Escape Plan, glad you came back


9 out of ten - Almost perfect....Almost

You can purchase it from Amazon here


You can visit the band's website here

You can listen to the album on Spotify here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate