21 June 2013

Druganaut - Assemble EP



Hailing from Newcastle, Druganaut have been making a big noise for the last two years since their inception in 2011.  To be honest when I first saw them I was not that impressed.  I don't know if it was my mood or the fact I was just having one of those days, but I just didn't get it. However I have since been proven wrong and ate my words so many times over.  Assemble is one of the two sets that the band has on Soundcloud, and is about 18 minutes long.  I think this was released in 2012, but I could be wrong.

All four tracks here show a band who knows where they want to go.  Treading down a path which Crowbar, Down, Orange Goblin and others have walked before with their own sense of humour - the song Carradine's Ghost is all about famous people who have killed themselves with a bit of the old auto-erotic - and also they know how to make a monster racket as shown on "True Story" and "Old Red".  Finishing off the beast of a set is "Denim Elliot" which mixes the humour and also the riff that would slay most other bands in their collective wake.

The band is allegedly working on some more material which is supposed to be much heavier, and I for one am looking forward to it.  As I said I am glad to have my first impressed to be wrong. This is really, really good.  Catch them if they come to your town and if you’re at the next Hard Rock Hell festival in Wales this November.


4.5 out of ten - This is really good, just short of perfect

You can visit the band's Facebook page here

You can listen to the EP on Soundcloud here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate