21 June 2013
Druganaut - Assemble EP
Hailing from Newcastle, Druganaut have been making a big noise for the last two years since their inception in 2011. To be honest when I first saw them I was not that impressed. I don't know if it was my mood or the fact I was just having one of those days, but I just didn't get it. However I have since been proven wrong and ate my words so many times over. Assemble is one of the two sets that the band has on Soundcloud, and is about 18 minutes long. I think this was released in 2012, but I could be wrong.
All four tracks here show a band who knows where they want to go. Treading down a path which Crowbar, Down, Orange Goblin and others have walked before with their own sense of humour - the song Carradine's Ghost is all about famous people who have killed themselves with a bit of the old auto-erotic - and also they know how to make a monster racket as shown on "True Story" and "Old Red". Finishing off the beast of a set is "Denim Elliot" which mixes the humour and also the riff that would slay most other bands in their collective wake.
The band is allegedly working on some more material which is supposed to be much heavier, and I for one am looking forward to it. As I said I am glad to have my first impressed to be wrong. This is really, really good. Catch them if they come to your town and if you’re at the next Hard Rock Hell festival in Wales this November.
4.5 out of ten - This is really good, just short of perfect
You can visit the band's Facebook page here
You can listen to the EP on Soundcloud here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- The Killers - Battle Born
- Symphony X - Iconoclast
- Nicke Borg Homeland - Ruins of A Riot
- Behold! The Monolith - Behold! The Monolith
- Miracle Of Sound - Level 3
- Polkadot Cadaver - Last Call In Jonestown
- Thomas Truax - Why Do Dogs Howl At The Moon
- Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian
- Eureka Machines - Remain In Hope
- Muscle Tribe Of Danger And Excellence - Eagles And...
- Obituary - World Demise
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
- Faun - Renaissance
- Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seveth Son
- Druganaut - Assemble EP
- Blur - Think Tank
- The Sword - Warp Riders
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
- Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay
- Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale
- The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Kille...
- Black Sabbath - 13
- Beady Eye - BE
- Khoma - The Second Wave
- Clawfinger - Deaf, Dumb, Blind
- Megadeth - Super Collider
- Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
- Venom - Calm Before The Storm
- Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
- Where have you been - a day of rest that went on a...
- Less Than Jake - In With The Out Crowd
- FEARhouse - Wargames/Hideaway (Single)
- Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
- These New Puritans - Hidden
- ▼ June (34)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Ryan Hamilton is an all-round legend in my books. I recently conducted an interview with him for my radio show on NE1FM called Attentio...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Ghost//Signals are one of my favourite groups in Newcastle right now, together with The NX, Dunes and Waheela. Last year, their second s...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...