14 June 2013
Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay
To some people, Bill Hicks is the most important comedian who ever lived; to other's he is overrated and too angry. Some people find his views lame and some find them offensive; but there is always an opinion. William Melvin "Bill" Hicks was born in 1961 and died in 1994 aged 32 after adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic spread to the liver. This was the third album and released posthumously along with Rant in E-Minor. In America he was popular, but because of his act and views he was not popular with the establishment, in Europe and the UK thought he was treated as a comedy God. I do not say this lightly, he is kept in as high regard as Monty Python and The Goonies.
With this being a comedy album from the 90's, the topics are a little old. The LA Riots, George Bush Sr. getting kicked out of the White House, The Bible - the topics of the day. For me it is laugh out loud stuff, when he talks about LA failing into the ocean to create Arizona Bay I just cannot stop the giggles, even the stuff about the Dinosaur still hold for me (the practical joker God bit is brilliant). It is one of the nicer Bill Hicks releases - when I say nicer, I mean he was not arguing with his audience. What I love for this album is the music that is playing all the way through which is a counter balance to what Hicks is saying, he was not just trying to get laughs, he was trying to make people question, to not be satisfied with living in the box. It is galling that he passed on, when he had so much more to say - yet Jerry Seinfeld still lives and sells out the o2 arena in London with tickets over £75 a go.... Make up your own opinion on this one, depending on how you view the world might depend on how much of this you can take.
8 out of ten - Oh, now you have my attention and maybe my money, time and heart
You can purchase from here
You can visit the Bill Hicks website here
You can listen to this on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- The Killers - Battle Born
- Symphony X - Iconoclast
- Nicke Borg Homeland - Ruins of A Riot
- Behold! The Monolith - Behold! The Monolith
- Miracle Of Sound - Level 3
- Polkadot Cadaver - Last Call In Jonestown
- Thomas Truax - Why Do Dogs Howl At The Moon
- Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian
- Eureka Machines - Remain In Hope
- Muscle Tribe Of Danger And Excellence - Eagles And...
- Obituary - World Demise
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
- Faun - Renaissance
- Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seveth Son
- Druganaut - Assemble EP
- Blur - Think Tank
- The Sword - Warp Riders
- Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
- Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay
- Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale
- The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Kille...
- Black Sabbath - 13
- Beady Eye - BE
- Khoma - The Second Wave
- Clawfinger - Deaf, Dumb, Blind
- Megadeth - Super Collider
- Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
- Venom - Calm Before The Storm
- Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
- Where have you been - a day of rest that went on a...
- Less Than Jake - In With The Out Crowd
- FEARhouse - Wargames/Hideaway (Single)
- Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
- These New Puritans - Hidden
- ▼ June (34)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Ryan Hamilton is an all-round legend in my books. I recently conducted an interview with him for my radio show on NE1FM called Attentio...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
The legend of Bootsy Collins, the image of the man has long been etched into my mind. What can I say here that has not been said b...
Ghost//Signals are one of my favourite groups in Newcastle right now, together with The NX, Dunes and Waheela. Last year, their second s...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...