9 May 2013

Barn Owl - Lost In The Glare



Ask for new things to listen to and you shall receive. After an SOS to my friends yesterday, this was suggested to me.  The band in questions are called Barn Owl, they come from San Francisco and comprise of Jon Porras and Evan Caminiti who met in an American Indian science class in 2005.  Now this album is almost basic in terms of what it sets out to achieve, with the drone-psychedelic genre this is very little you can do that has not already been done before. So how do you reinvent the wheel again and make it relevant to a new audience.

Now whilst I adore drone, it can dull the senses as well at times.  Barn Owl have done something different, for the first few track it is a very organic, almost natural album with no reverb in sight - the first three tracks "Pale Star", "Turiya" and "Devotion I" are quite possibly song of the most hypnotic and exciting tracks I have heard from a Drone artist in an awfully long time.  It is a genre which I really have to be in the mood for, so this has came along at the right time for me.  The band uses their guitar skills to make great works here, from beginning to end I found this a very engaging album to listen to, which let me disconnect with the rest of the world for a brief period.

Now the crux of this album is that I would not be able to listen to it whenever I wanted to; sometimes I need more from my music. This is very good at what it does, it is almost an album for relaxing to (even when the distortion pedal comes into play on "Devotion II" and "The Darkest Night Since 1683" - the later reminding me of prime Sunn 0)))))) ).  The many shades of texture that Barn Owl bring is sublime, and I will be following up this reviews of their other releases in time.  So on that score it might not be big on my purchase list, but for what this is I would recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest liking of drone and ambient music. Truly a fascinating and tremendous release which demands to be played as loud as possible.

7 out of ten - This is good and well worth a check

You can purchase from here

You can visit Electric Totem, which has new about their work and other artists

You can listen to the album on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate