19 April 2013
Superjoint Ritual - Use Once & Destroy
I am struggling to find an opening line for this one. That is mostly because your scribe is not 100%, but also because this is sort of a strange release in some ways. It is not that the music is unsurprising; anyone who has ever followed the career of Phil Anselmo will know he just likes to change the mix he has released. From Down to Viking Crown to Southern Isolation - he has never tried to rest on records and never stops making music. The man has already recorded a solo album which is coming shortly, so why did I start here. I could have went for Down or even Pantera, but I decided to start here. So what was the fuss about on this one....
When this first came out, it was like a breath of fresh air in some ways. Fast metal with a punk attitude and some fantastic little groove moments such as "All Of Our Lives Will Get Tired" and "Fuck Your Enemy". There was not much out there which could touch this. It sounded so feral and just manic with the relentless drumming from Joe Fazzio and bass playing from Michael Haaga are best shown on "4 Songs" which just bring the energy to a whole different plain. Honestly, it is just relentless in its progress, the whole album is over in just over 49 minutes but the time flies very fast.
Is there a downside to this album, well yes and no. The downside is that it does not really go any further than the first listen. Some records have depth and moments which surprise you when they reveal their secrets after multiple listens - this is not one of those records. It has its heart very much on its sleeve and does not need a chance to go any deeper. It is here to make you jump around, have a beer, go in the pit and lose maybe a tooth or a limb. It is a very simple record, but due to its lack of depth it feels a little hollow. Worth a check out for sure, but it is not a keeper.
6 out of ten - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there
You can purchase from here
This is not on Spotify, but I'm sure you can listen to it if you want to.....
- ► 2017 (145)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Erica Nockalls - Imminent Room
- Museum - Traces Of
- Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion 1
- Overkill - The Electric Age
- Justice - †
- The Offspring - Americana
- Type O Negative - World Coming Down
- Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
- Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Last Smoke Before The ...
- Therapy? - Troublegum
- The Wildhearts - P.H.U.Q.
- Rufio - MCMLXXXV
- Living Colour - Vivid
- Another new member and a scoring system for EP's a...
- Cough/Windhand - Reflection of The Negative
- Grinderman - Grinderman
- Superjoint Ritual - Use Once & Destroy
- New Power Generation - Exodus
- Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasur...
- Kittie - Spit
- Nightwish - Once
- Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
- Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu
- The Breeders - Last Spalsh
- Rival Schools - United By Fate
- Pixies - Doolittle
- Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
- The Smiths - The World Won't Listen
- Guster - Goldfly
- Rush - Clockwork Angels
- Day of Rest - General update
- Slayer - World Painted Blood
- Zero 7 - Simple Things
- Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
- The Vandals - The Quickening
- Ginger Wildheart - 555%
- Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
- Far - Tin Cans With Strings To You
- Sepultura - Roots
- Dislocated Styles - Pin The Tail On The Honkey
- W.A.S.P - W.A.S.P
- Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
- Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
- House Of Pain - House Of Pain
- Jeff Wayne - War Of the Worlds: The New Generation...
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost
- Nightwish - Imaginaerum
- The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Le...
- Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
- Frank Turner - Sleep Is For The Week
- Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
- Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Cruising ...
- Meet the team....almost.....
- Airhead - Boing!!
- ▼ April (55)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...