21 April 2013

Rufio - MCMLXXXV


Have you ever bought a magazine with a free tape or CD (depending on your age) and when listening have heard a song which made you think 'One day I will look into this band' and then you promptly forget about them?  I guessing most people have - I know I have done this many times over.  Back in 2003 I purchased a UK magazine called Kerrang which had a CD which was compiled by Dexter Holland from The Offspring.  Some of it was ok, some of it was meh.  But every time I listened to it, I would always go back to a track by Rufio called "Science Fiction".  It only took me 9 years to get the album it was off, but has it been worth the wait?

Rufio were a band who came from Rancho Cucamonga, California, they split up in 2012 after 4 albums, and this was their second release on the Nitro label back in 2003 and was produced with Nick Rasculinecz who also produced Rancid and the Foo Fighters.  What you get here is just pure pop/post hardcore punk.  Not quite as sugary as the likes of Sum 41 and Blink 182, but not a million miles away from them.  The 12 tracks rattle by in around 35 minutes and are all of a very high quality.  You cannot fault the band's performance on "White Lights", "Control" and "We Exist".  There was a passion to their performances and it is one of the better albums of this genre.

However, there is a problem here - as much as I like this album (and I really do like this album a lot) - I can see why it is not a classic for people.  I find myself struggling to distinguish between the tracks at times, and I am a fan of the album as well - I feel the casual fan would just get lost with the album and feel that they are just listening to the same song again and again. It is the crux of this genre that (sort of like Black Metal), it have very define rules and some bands never move out of the system which they set up their stall.  There could have been something more from this band, but it never happened for them.  So, if you’re a fan of the genre and have not heard them before I recommend them to you - but for fans of the genre only I feel.

6 out of ten - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there


You can purchase from here

You can listen to the album on Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate