17 April 2013

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction



Once described as the most dangerous band in the world, in the late 80's and early 90's Guns N' Roses tried to live up to that reputation with lots of sex, drugs and rock n' roll which would make the more sane in the world shake their collective heads and wonder what they were trying to prove.  However, when you’re an early teen and you’re seeing all this for the first time it is all very seductive.  I didn't get this album until I had been bought the Use Your Illusion albums by my parents (both deeply Christian and bless them for doing that - I must have been their little black sheep for years).  Finding a tape copy of this in a local flea market for the dizzy price of £0.50p, I took it home and immediately started to list to see if it was any better than UYI1 & UYI2.  So here we are in 2013, a long time has passed since then and I got to thinking last night after a text conversation if I still have the same feeling now for this part of their career as I did then.

Well, I want to get the moments which might get me punched by some of my friends - some of this album is truly, truly awful.  I have never, and will never like the beginning of "Sweet Child O' Mine". It is a riff that I hated as a kid and even now when I am making myself listen to the song I have to force myself not to take it to the next track. It is sort of a preview of "November Rain" - the song begins in dire straits, but it has a good ending.  It is just getting there that makes the song difficult to tolerate, let alone like.  Also, I just do not understand how this band was billed as the most dangerous band of all time.  There is more danger in walking barefoot at night over the room of a small child who likes to leave Lego on the floor.

With that being said there are still some brilliant moments on here, even if they are tame.  I still love "Welcome To The Jungle", "Think About You" & "You're Crazy".  Even the once awful "Rocket Queen" has improved because that was one of the tracks I used to hate.  How times have changed....  But there is a whiff of over familiarity with this record, I guess from listening to it for too long I have just listened to it more times than I needed to, it has been played at too many clubs for me to appreciated it as much as I used to.  I think it is a very good piece of classic metal and will deserve a place in rock history, and that fact alone has given it the mark I am putting at the bottom of this blog.  But the chances of me listening to it again are smaller than the chance of free speech at the funeral of a certain politician who is currently being buried today.

7 out of ten - This is very good and deserves being checked out

You can purchase it from here


You can visit the band's website here

You can listen to the album on here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate