20 April 2013
Cough/Windhand - Reflection of The Negative
You have to love the random bullet game - I have about ten or more other albums to review on here (some of them almost done), and then I find something I have to talk about straight away. Sometimes that is the way how it works, I get distracted very easily at time, but tonight I needed to go for something I had never heard of before. So I went looking for random music to listen to and stumbled upon this split album - it is technically an EP, but it is being billed as an album, so who am I to judge - and was released by Relapse Records.
Now both bands are from Richmond, Virginia, Windhand have been going since 2008 and Cough since 2005. There must be something in the water up there for two very similar bands to come up around about the same time. With this being only 3 tracks long, and still over 30 minutes in length it is a little had to get a real grasp on either band. Cough open up proceeding with the 18 minute "Athame", which just has the same note going round and round, together with various layers of noise and feedback it is the sort of amplifier worship which sludge band have been in love with for years. Even though it is only one track and has that constant rhythm going on, it is a fantastic piece of metal full of depth, a guitar solo that the devil is wanting back and a story that defines an age lots in the abyss.
Then we come onto the two tracks on offer from Windhand. Coming out of the blocks like, well a really stoned Sabbath worshiping creature from the black forest, these guys pick up from Cough with the really short (7 minutes is short for these guys) "Amaranth" which has shades of Saint Vitus and my god do they do the sludge world proud. Following with the psychedelic gospel that is "Shepherd's Crook" you just know that that when the main riff kicks in your in for a treat of the mind. Now, in all fairness I do have to point out that if push came to shove I would be hard done by to pick between which of these guys I prefer (to be honest until the vocals kick in I would be lost as to which band was playing) - but I think this is a really good show case for both acts and I will be looking it both really shortly. The kings of sludge are here, long live the kings.
8 out of ten - Oh, now you have my attention and maybe my money, time and heart
You can purchase from Amazon on MP3 (not on CD at time of writing)
You can buy directly from the band's label here
You can listen to the album here on Spotify
The Cough shop here
The Windhand shop here
- ► 2017 (145)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Erica Nockalls - Imminent Room
- Museum - Traces Of
- Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion 1
- Overkill - The Electric Age
- Justice - †
- The Offspring - Americana
- Type O Negative - World Coming Down
- Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
- Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Last Smoke Before The ...
- Therapy? - Troublegum
- The Wildhearts - P.H.U.Q.
- Rufio - MCMLXXXV
- Living Colour - Vivid
- Another new member and a scoring system for EP's a...
- Cough/Windhand - Reflection of The Negative
- Grinderman - Grinderman
- Superjoint Ritual - Use Once & Destroy
- New Power Generation - Exodus
- Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasur...
- Kittie - Spit
- Nightwish - Once
- Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
- Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu
- The Breeders - Last Spalsh
- Rival Schools - United By Fate
- Pixies - Doolittle
- Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
- The Smiths - The World Won't Listen
- Guster - Goldfly
- Rush - Clockwork Angels
- Day of Rest - General update
- Slayer - World Painted Blood
- Zero 7 - Simple Things
- Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
- The Vandals - The Quickening
- Ginger Wildheart - 555%
- Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
- Far - Tin Cans With Strings To You
- Sepultura - Roots
- Dislocated Styles - Pin The Tail On The Honkey
- W.A.S.P - W.A.S.P
- Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
- Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
- House Of Pain - House Of Pain
- Jeff Wayne - War Of the Worlds: The New Generation...
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost
- Nightwish - Imaginaerum
- The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Le...
- Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
- Frank Turner - Sleep Is For The Week
- Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
- Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Cruising ...
- Meet the team....almost.....
- Airhead - Boing!!
- ▼ April (55)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...