21 April 2013
Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Last Smoke Before The Snowstorm
Some artists are just born to be used in those poignant moments in teen dramas and American sitcoms when one of the main characters is have a revelation moment. These were mostly done on Scrubs and launched many a career; it is usually the singer-songwriter who gets this sort of moment. For Benjamin Francis Leftwich his moment came in the TV show 'Grey's Anatomy' with the song "Atlas Hands". Not too bad for a kid of York in England. So what is the rest of the album like?
Sometimes when a singer songwriter just has themselves to bounce off, you get the same song over and over again. Has Mr Leftwich feel into this trap? Well, yes he has - there is no real variation over the whole album. The fastest and also the happiest it gets is "Shine", which sounds like the end of a summer's day with the slow dance just starting as the sun heads towards the horizon. Like a black metal album I was finding myself checking that tracks had changed at all. Now here is the crux - does this make the album a wasted experience?
Again, this is a no here as well. The album is very pleasant; it goes around nicely and would not really offend anyone. "Atlas Hands" is the best song for me here, and I have a feeling that for a lot of people the best song you hear from the album would possible be the best song for them. A very nice effort that will not changed the world, not really essential but I have heard a hell of a lot worse.
5 out of 10 - It could have been a bit better
You can purchase from here
You can visit the main website here
You can listen to the album on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (147)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Erica Nockalls - Imminent Room
- Museum - Traces Of
- Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion 1
- Overkill - The Electric Age
- Justice - †
- The Offspring - Americana
- Type O Negative - World Coming Down
- Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
- Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Last Smoke Before The ...
- Therapy? - Troublegum
- The Wildhearts - P.H.U.Q.
- Rufio - MCMLXXXV
- Living Colour - Vivid
- Another new member and a scoring system for EP's a...
- Cough/Windhand - Reflection of The Negative
- Grinderman - Grinderman
- Superjoint Ritual - Use Once & Destroy
- New Power Generation - Exodus
- Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasur...
- Kittie - Spit
- Nightwish - Once
- Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
- Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu
- The Breeders - Last Spalsh
- Rival Schools - United By Fate
- Pixies - Doolittle
- Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
- The Smiths - The World Won't Listen
- Guster - Goldfly
- Rush - Clockwork Angels
- Day of Rest - General update
- Slayer - World Painted Blood
- Zero 7 - Simple Things
- Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
- The Vandals - The Quickening
- Ginger Wildheart - 555%
- Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
- Far - Tin Cans With Strings To You
- Sepultura - Roots
- Dislocated Styles - Pin The Tail On The Honkey
- W.A.S.P - W.A.S.P
- Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
- Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
- House Of Pain - House Of Pain
- Jeff Wayne - War Of the Worlds: The New Generation...
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost
- Nightwish - Imaginaerum
- The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Le...
- Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
- Frank Turner - Sleep Is For The Week
- Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
- Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Cruising ...
- Meet the team....almost.....
- Airhead - Boing!!
- ▼ April (55)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...