19 April 2013
Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
As some of you might know who comes to the blog on a regular bases, we do tend to like our metal a little more than is healthy. It have nothing to do with the fact dance music or indie is awful - far from it, we just like metal a little more than the other stuff at time. But sometimes I prefer to listen to a bit of Elton John, maybe some Frank Zappa and then sometimes I just want metal. Just something that is dark, dangerous and makes the sounds that nightmares should be made of - but sometimes I'm asked for stuff I just don't want to listen to and for anything from the Black Metal genre. But I have been putting this one off for too long, finally I am ready to put up the blog I have been meaning to do about the band called Bathory.
This is the third album by Bathory which was an exclusive studio project whose only constant member was Quorthon (real name Thomas Forsberg 1966-2004 RIP), he wrote all the music, the lyrics - basically Bathory was Quorthon and vice versa. This album is held as one of the key moments in the genre of Black Metal. For what it does, this album is 35 minutes of intense and passionate black metal that when the mood is in the right position it does the darkest soul the world of good. It is dramatic, it is passionate, it is full of storytelling about the band's namesake (the song "Woman of Dark Desires" is about the infamous Countess Elizabeth Bathory and "Enter the Eternal Fire" is about making a deal with the devil), when I am in the mood, I love this album.
Today thought I am in the opposite mood when reviewing this, so I am feeling very, very, very conflicted when hearing this music. At the moment I am hearing the poor productions job, I am hearing the monotints drumming, the guitar work which usually makes my soul shiver was making my mind want to escape from my ears. How can an album be both things at once? It is both amazing and dreadful today - and it is still going to get the same mark due to the way I know it is. This is not going to get a person who doesn’t like Black Metal into the genre, to be honest unless you have a leaning towards that music I don’t think anything will - but I do think it needs to be done at least once for anyone who thinks that they are into metal.
7 out of ten - This is good and well worth a check
You can purchase from here
You can listen to the album on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (94)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Erica Nockalls - Imminent Room
- Museum - Traces Of
- Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion 1
- Overkill - The Electric Age
- Justice - †
- The Offspring - Americana
- Type O Negative - World Coming Down
- Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
- Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Last Smoke Before The ...
- Therapy? - Troublegum
- The Wildhearts - P.H.U.Q.
- Rufio - MCMLXXXV
- Living Colour - Vivid
- Another new member and a scoring system for EP's a...
- Cough/Windhand - Reflection of The Negative
- Grinderman - Grinderman
- Superjoint Ritual - Use Once & Destroy
- New Power Generation - Exodus
- Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasur...
- Kittie - Spit
- Nightwish - Once
- Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
- Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu
- The Breeders - Last Spalsh
- Rival Schools - United By Fate
- Pixies - Doolittle
- Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
- The Smiths - The World Won't Listen
- Guster - Goldfly
- Rush - Clockwork Angels
- Day of Rest - General update
- Slayer - World Painted Blood
- Zero 7 - Simple Things
- Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
- The Vandals - The Quickening
- Ginger Wildheart - 555%
- Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
- Far - Tin Cans With Strings To You
- Sepultura - Roots
- Dislocated Styles - Pin The Tail On The Honkey
- W.A.S.P - W.A.S.P
- Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
- Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
- House Of Pain - House Of Pain
- Jeff Wayne - War Of the Worlds: The New Generation...
- Symphony X - Paradise Lost
- Nightwish - Imaginaerum
- The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Le...
- Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
- Frank Turner - Sleep Is For The Week
- Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
- Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Cruising ...
- Meet the team....almost.....
- Airhead - Boing!!
- ▼ April (55)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...
Sometimes albums come out of nowhere and for me this was one I was not expecting at all. Future Of The Left are a post hardcore band f...