11 March 2013

David Bowie - The Next Day



At one point I thought I would never see another album by David Bowie.  I thought the last we had seen the old the White Duke was when he released 'Reality' which was not the best moment on which to end.  True we have a lot of live albums coming out, but these were from old concerts and the remasters were nice too, but again - old material.  So, when the new came through back in January that there was a new album, I knew what I would be doing today.  Today, I would be listening to one of my favourite artists returning and hoping it was more Elton John when he did 'The Union' with Leon Russell and not 'Chinese Democracy' by Guns N' Roses.

To be honest, I did steam this on iTunes a few days before it came out just so I could get the initial excitement out of the way.  Which I am glad that I did, because I was a little more than excited at that moment - sort of four times in a row resetting iTunes excited so I could listen to it without having to purchase it for lots of funds.  Expectations were kept as low as I could physically get them.  Whilst the voice is not as strong as when he was younger, it is still distinctive and it also sounds amazing.  It is an album that knows it does not have much time on its hands. With no special guests and recorded over the last two years (how they kept this secret is beyond me) with producer Tony Visconti who has produced many of his previous albums, you can feel the drive towards the end, trying to give the last possible ounce of energy it can then the last two songs start to slow it down toward "Heat" when the man knows it is over.  Bowie is looking at himself and realising that he is not going to be making records forever.


From the opening stomp of "The Next Day", the slow sax jaunt of "Dirty Boys" to the rocking out of "How Does The Grass Grow", I could go on about the singles "Where Are We Now" and "The Stars (Are Out Tonight" (the later possibly being the best thing he has wrote since "Strangers When We Meet" from 'Outsiders') there is not a point of this album that lets the rest of the work.  It works from beginning to end, and if there is a better album released in 2013 I will be really surprised.  I hope that Bowie does more (even some shows would be good), but if this is the last wave goodbye then whilst I would be sad to see him go, it would be on such a perfect moment.  Perfection from the perfectionist.


10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a God.


You can purchase from here

You can visit the David Bowie website here 

You can listen to it on Spotify here

Here is the video to "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate