21 February 2013

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Fear


Named after part of a Monty Python sketch, this was the third release by them. It made them big stars in America, over in the UK, they were largely ignored - don't even think that they made a dent over here.  Musically, these were very much a safe band to listen to. There was nothing really hard and heavy about them, they were sort of like Coldplay in the way that they was nothing that was gonna cause the listen to start to cut themselves and throw stuff out of the window.


Now, for year I have wanted to listen to this album. It has my favourite song by them - "Walk on the Ocean" - in fact I would go out on a limb and say it is one of my most favourite songs ever. Simplistic and beautiful, never gonna change the world but just so amazing. So when I found that it started with said masterpiece I was a little bit more than frightened that it would be all downhill from there.

Well, the album is a decent affair. Well produced, songs like "All I Want", "Butterflies" and "Is It for Me" are nice and the background is well filled.  You can also not fault the band themselves - for what it is, the album is well played.  Thing is, even with one of my most favourite song ever on it - the album is a little boring. It just there not trying to get too much attention. It is a little bit grey and not exciting, songs like "I Will Not Take These Things For Granted", "Something To Say" and "Before You Were Born" just sap all the positives out of this record to such a degree it is hard to see how the same band made a song that I hunted down before there was an internet.


If I was to recommend this to anyone, it would be to the same sort of people who want music for their dinner parties. It is not going to offend anyone, and I would not complain if I heard it again. However I would also not hunt it out. It may have one of my most favourite songs on it, but one song does not make an album. Place under the filing section called disappointment.

 

4.5 out of ten - Well it is alright, but still......


You can purchase from here

 
You can listen to on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate