27 January 2013

Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire



I am really struggling to start this blog - not because I do not have an idea of what I want to say, I know how I feel about this album.  I just have to try to articulate how disappoint I was when this first came out.  As you may have noticed before I did possibly the most lazy and quickest blog I have ever done for the debut album.  That was because there was nothing new I could say that has not been said before. It would have just been adding another layer of praise to a giant statue of shining complements.  It is as near to perfect a debut as I have ever heard.  Now when I first heard this I was very excited, but apart from a couple of songs I was so disappointed. I mean it was crushing the amount of negativity that came out of me when this was released.  So after being asked to go through their whole back catalogue (which I was planning to be honest) - this was the one I was most curious about to see if age and time has been kinder to it than my initial opinion.

The production on this was handled by Brendan O'Brien & the band together - he was mostly associated with Pearl Jam at the time this was released. Coming back to this album the production is so minimal it makes the song stand on an edge. What at one time had sounded lazy and substandard to these ears has become a bonafide stone cold killer sound. The balance and split speakers for the bass and guitar just works so well on every track.  Before listening to this I always said the only decent things off this album are "Bulls On Parade" & "People of The Sun".  Now I have to change that opinion - the whole album is just astonishing.  It takes up from the first album and goes further forward with the sound.  The whole packing has become a sophisticated understated album which has no weak link.

When I started to listen to this album today I was expecting to be giving this maybe a 4 or 5 at the most.  But I think it is obvious that opinion has changed. It is without a single doubt a million times improved from those first listens way back in the distant memories of my youth. Rage Against The Machine are owed an apology, instead I will just give the album this mark instead.......

10 out of ten - This is proof that there is a god

You can purchase from here

You can listen to on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate