18 January 2013
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
Did you know that this group is regarded in some quarters as a supergroup? Not as in "Yeah, they are super!!" - no, I mean in the same way that Temple of The Dog, Super Heavy, Neurotic Outsider, Travelling Wilburys, etc, etc... Not in my head, but there you go. From 1992, this is the 7th album from this Australian band who formed in London, England (keep thinking - also, they are really a multi-national group but nevermind).
When this was released, it came out to great applause and praise from the critics and fans alike. Not so much from the general public, but what do they know? Well, in this case not a lot. This is a very dark album at times. "Brother, My Cup Is Empty", "Jack The Ripper" and "Papa Won't Leave You, Henry" are prime examples of a band who had tales of murder, betrayal and the balls to sing them. This is a curious mix of (sorry for saying this first one) country, gospel, roots and blues - all done with a punk attitude, which probably stems from The Birthday Party roots.
It is a short album for Mr Cave & his seeds - just over 40 minutes and 9 tracks. Not that the time goes past fast, you feel every minute of this album. The misery and bleak out look of this dream are very heavy on the narrative of the songs. After this album came a live album based on the tour that followed called Live Seeds (expect a review from Chaney at some point) and whilst this album is not immediately feral as that release, it is not here to give you an easy time.
I think the only thing that I would say bad about this is that it is too short, however that is also perfect as it makes you want more. You will search out other works, so it is actually the best place to start with them. Not their most complete or best work, but a solid album that will sink it's hooks in you (thank you Megadeth) and drag you under it's own skin. Don't say we didn't warn (and encourage) you.
8.5 out of ten - Oh, now you have my attention and maybe my money, time and heart
You can purchase from here
You can listen to it on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Days of rest - part 4....I think.....
- Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar
- Circus of Power - Vices
- Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
- Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machin...
- Ed Sheeran - +
- VCMG - SSSS
- J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
- London Electricity - Billion Dollar Gravy
- The Levellers - Zeitgeist
- White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000 Songs of Love, De...
- Machine Head - Supercharger
- Rush - Snakes & Arrows
- Joy Division - Closer
- Gotye - Making Mirrors
- Jeff Wayne - The War of The Worlds
- The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
- New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
- Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
- Pig - Geniune American Monster
- Mansun - 6
- Silver Ginger 5 - Black Leather Mojo
- Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss
- Approaching treble figures......
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
- Two Lone Swordsmen - From The Double Gone Chapel
- Kiss - Hotter Than Hell
- Steve Harris - British Lion
- R.E.M. - Monster
- Sugar - Copper Blue
- Fear Factory - Demanufacture
- Everything Everything - Man Alive
- Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
- Bad Brains - Into The Future
- Mother Firefly - Silence Sez It All EP
- R.E.M. - Accelerate
- The Slackers - Self Medication
- Robert Logan - Inscape
- Morthem Vlade Art - Organic But Not Mental
- Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
- Public Image Limited - The Is PiL
- Edgard Varèse - Experimental Essentials
- Therapy? - One Cure Fits All
- Black Moth - The Killing Jar
- We Are Knuckle Dragger - Tit For Tat
- Far - At Night We Live
- Wam Bam, Thank You Ma'am!!! - Bowie through the ag...
- Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
- Ginger - Mutation:Error 500
- Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
- Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
- Delicate Steve - Positive Force
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- White Rose Movement - Kick
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
- Ginger - Mutation:The Frankenstein Effect
- Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Audio Orchestra - ...
- Ben Folds Five - The Sound of The Life of The Mind...
- Metallica - ...And Justice For All
- Nekromantik - Fairy Catcher
- ▼ January (60)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Well, what a year it has been for releases. 2015 has been an incredible year for me with records and for the blog as well - ...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Welcome to a roundup review! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bullet point reviews,...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...