16 January 2013
Mother Firefly - Silence Sez It All EP
Reviewing friends and people you know if difficult - very difficult, because if they suck you don't want to heard their feelings or if they are really good you don't wanna blow smoke up their collective arses. This is the situation I find myself in. I put out an appeal for random album to review and one of the responses was to review Mother Firefly from the North East of England. Based in Gateshead, they state on their blog that they are grunge with a appeal to fans of Foo Fighters, QOTSA and other bands of that genre. Whilst not wanting to sound cruel, they are not grunge to these ears - they are of the alternative/indie side of the road. A bit of early Feeder maybe in there, some Sterophonics, some American Hi-Fi and middle period Manic Street Preachers and I can see the Foo Fighters linking. But their sound is too clean for grunge for me at least
Now this four track EP was self financed and recorded by them as far as I can tell. Now here it is in the nut shell. For what the band do, it is well done - I really enjoyed the title track and thought it was a little corker and "Ali" is a little tale of a friend who has done someone in the band wrong. With it being an EP it is hard to get a real grip on the band as a whole, out of all the tracks on here only "You Make It Easy" does not work for me - but how would it work in a set (to the people who have not heard them before), would it fit in better? Also I do feel as if this band would benefit from a second guitarist (which I know they are looking for - are at least they were after this had been recorded). End track "All Thanks to You" is the best of the bunch, the most rocky number of the tracks on offer here and the most polished as well. The production job on the whole EP is very good and unless I head hear read it was self released I would not have guess it.
Now for the bit I'm not looking forward to - how to sum up and be fair and not come across as an ass. With it being an EP I'm not sure how to mark it as it is just a snap shot of where the band are currently at (albeit at this time last year) and not a full picture. They could be further along the road, they could be ready with a new album (which I will gladly like to listen to if they are still talking to me). The mark I'm giving is work in progress - not the best thing ever, but still a good start, and 3 out 4 tracks making this an enjoyable, if too brief first release. From now on, I am having guests reviewing anything that is from people I know. It is too stressful otherwise........
6.75 out of ten - Worth checking out (special grading mark as the others didn't seem right)
You can purchase from here (Download only)
You can listen to on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Days of rest - part 4....I think.....
- Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar
- Circus of Power - Vices
- Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
- Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machin...
- Ed Sheeran - +
- VCMG - SSSS
- J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
- London Electricity - Billion Dollar Gravy
- The Levellers - Zeitgeist
- White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000 Songs of Love, De...
- Machine Head - Supercharger
- Rush - Snakes & Arrows
- Joy Division - Closer
- Gotye - Making Mirrors
- Jeff Wayne - The War of The Worlds
- The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
- New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
- Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
- Pig - Geniune American Monster
- Mansun - 6
- Silver Ginger 5 - Black Leather Mojo
- Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss
- Approaching treble figures......
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
- Two Lone Swordsmen - From The Double Gone Chapel
- Kiss - Hotter Than Hell
- Steve Harris - British Lion
- R.E.M. - Monster
- Sugar - Copper Blue
- Fear Factory - Demanufacture
- Everything Everything - Man Alive
- Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
- Bad Brains - Into The Future
- Mother Firefly - Silence Sez It All EP
- R.E.M. - Accelerate
- The Slackers - Self Medication
- Robert Logan - Inscape
- Morthem Vlade Art - Organic But Not Mental
- Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
- Public Image Limited - The Is PiL
- Edgard Varèse - Experimental Essentials
- Therapy? - One Cure Fits All
- Black Moth - The Killing Jar
- We Are Knuckle Dragger - Tit For Tat
- Far - At Night We Live
- Wam Bam, Thank You Ma'am!!! - Bowie through the ag...
- Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
- Ginger - Mutation:Error 500
- Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
- Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
- Delicate Steve - Positive Force
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- White Rose Movement - Kick
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
- Ginger - Mutation:The Frankenstein Effect
- Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Audio Orchestra - ...
- Ben Folds Five - The Sound of The Life of The Mind...
- Metallica - ...And Justice For All
- Nekromantik - Fairy Catcher
- ▼ January (60)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Ryan Hamilton is an all-round legend in my books. I recently conducted an interview with him for my radio show on NE1FM called Attentio...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Ghost//Signals are one of my favourite groups in Newcastle right now, together with The NX, Dunes and Waheela. Last year, their second s...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...