12 January 2013

Morthem Vlade Art - Organic But Not Mental


Another album chosen at random by a member of the public. First time I have heard of these guys, coming from France, this album was released in 2000 and it is part of the Darkwave/Gothic/Industrial movement. Now as a young fella I was really into electronic goth music, much to the annoyance of about 99.99% of my friends. If it has a drum machine, a keyboard and a singer who had listened to too much of Joy Division, Depeche Mode and Midnight Configuration I was there at the front of the queue jumping up and down like a loon, as I was not stylish enough to look as statuesque as the scenesters who dominated the crowds.

Now this album is as dark and miserable as a night in Middlesbourgh, if you are wanting something of a more sunny disposition I would recommend going for anything else in the world. Seriously, if Robert Smith of The Crue caught these guys, he would probably think that things are not as bad as they used to seem.  As I expected, lots of choirs, film sample, slow building soundscapes which would suit a film about Iceland and the keyboard sound that should be used in every horror film ever - it is a fact proven by me that this sort of sound can scare the bee-jesus out of any cat.

So, from that description your probably thinking I hate it.....not one little bit sirs and ladies, not one little bit do I hate this.  Granted it is not the most easiest thing I have ever heard from this scene, but it is not the most complex either. The title track is an great example of how this sort of music can work really well, "Splendor In The Grass" is fantastic as well.  This is some of the best darkwave I have heard in an awful long time and I wish I had have heard of them sooner.  According to the wikipedia page (from France as the English obviously have no taste), they disbanded in 2005, which is a shame. But I have a back catalogue to get through, and someone to tell off for not telling me about them sooner.  It will be safe to say it is not for all people, but for those of you who have a love of the dark, it is a good place to start.

7 out of ten - This is good and well worth a check


You can purchase it from here

You can listen to it here on Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate