25 January 2013

London Electricity - Billion Dollar Gravy




Now I haven't done a review of a more dance album in a while - I think there are quite a lot of metal heads out there giving me the requests. However, this one has turned up and it got me interest (even when I was supposed to be on an off day). With an album title that crosses Frank Zappa and Alice Cooper I had to find out what this sounded like.

From a brief read up, this is a project by Drum N Bass DJ Tony Colman who with various people to make live Drum N Bass.  Listen to the album it's self, it is a wonderful piece for work. High energy with floating rhythms and vibes, with a good dose of old school sounds that make me go back to the type of dance music I loved as I was growing up.

However, this shares a Achilles heel that a lot of other dance albums have - it sounds like this would be magic in a club or festival, but it is not doing it for me totally in a snowy North Tyneside flat.  With that said, it is such a ray of sunshine in the day that you could not help but be perked up by the album. Sure, it is a little samey, it would have done better with a little variation; but it is a good Drum N Bass record. Not quite brilliant, but still a nice change of scenery.


6.5 out of ten - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there

You can purchase from here

You can listen to it on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate