So here is part two of the Mutation project - on my first blog - The Frankenstein Effect - I looked at the first part of this pledge by the changeable Geordie with his merry bunch of (for want of a better word) nutters who have been making some brilliant music. Now I will not list all the people involved again or describe how the project was started and works as that would be a slight waste of time - you can read the other blog, go on...it is really good! I also stated that I was slightly disappointed by the first part, but that it was probably because I wanted more and my mind had been building it up too much. Well, here we are for a second helping of Mutation - so is it going to be bitter or sweet?
Well, to be honest this is what I wanted from the album as a whole. To use a phrase that one of my friends uses - it is madder than a bunch of frogs in a box, in a sack full of cats who are very annoyed. This is just a beautifully twisted piece of work. I love the title track with Mark E Smith of the Fall & Merzbow, I love "Bracken" with it's store setting fuck you attitude, I love the simple to harsh riff and twisted vocals of "Computer, This Is Not What I...." everything about this is what I wanted of the whole project. If Frank Zappa had have been alive, he would have been part of this as well I am sure of it.
This makes up for the first part so much, it is also a hard one to sell to two groups of people. Firstly, if you are not too good with harsh music that is challenging, aggressive and has more issues than the National Geographic - you will be best served going to you safe side of the street with whatever classes as safe these days (is Razorlight still going?). Also it might be a bit too much for some Wildhearts/Ginger fans. They are (and I include myself in this group) a strange bunch of fellows and girls who are not always good with change. And some of this is quite far away from that particular comfort zone, even if you add in the Endless Nameless factor - and that is a very, very good thing.
You see this is separate to all of that, even though it has came from the same mind which brought us "29 X The Pain", "Rooting For The Bad Guys" and "I Wanna Go Where The People Go". You can still hear hints of Wildhearts (it's Ginger, that is always going to be there), but you can also hear the other people on this half of the album. However they release this - I think that there will be a best of Mutation compilation for general release at some point, much like the 100% that was released after 555% came out - it will still be crazy. The second half of this is already looking good for album of the year, and we are only 9 days into January. So, Mr Wildheart - we salute you and your boxes of Frogs. Here is to the next pledges.
For this album the mark is:
10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a God
For the project
Batman symbol - When you are unable to choose what it is, always choose Batman
You can pledge to the project now with many bundles available - 51 days left at time of writing
No spotfiy as of yet - you will need to pledge to hear it
- ► 2017 (146)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Days of rest - part 4....I think.....
- Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar
- Circus of Power - Vices
- Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
- Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machin...
- Ed Sheeran - +
- VCMG - SSSS
- J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
- London Electricity - Billion Dollar Gravy
- The Levellers - Zeitgeist
- White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000 Songs of Love, De...
- Machine Head - Supercharger
- Rush - Snakes & Arrows
- Joy Division - Closer
- Gotye - Making Mirrors
- Jeff Wayne - The War of The Worlds
- The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
- New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
- Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
- Pig - Geniune American Monster
- Mansun - 6
- Silver Ginger 5 - Black Leather Mojo
- Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss
- Approaching treble figures......
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
- Two Lone Swordsmen - From The Double Gone Chapel
- Kiss - Hotter Than Hell
- Steve Harris - British Lion
- R.E.M. - Monster
- Sugar - Copper Blue
- Fear Factory - Demanufacture
- Everything Everything - Man Alive
- Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
- Bad Brains - Into The Future
- Mother Firefly - Silence Sez It All EP
- R.E.M. - Accelerate
- The Slackers - Self Medication
- Robert Logan - Inscape
- Morthem Vlade Art - Organic But Not Mental
- Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
- Public Image Limited - The Is PiL
- Edgard Varèse - Experimental Essentials
- Therapy? - One Cure Fits All
- Black Moth - The Killing Jar
- We Are Knuckle Dragger - Tit For Tat
- Far - At Night We Live
- Wam Bam, Thank You Ma'am!!! - Bowie through the ag...
- Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
- Ginger - Mutation:Error 500
- Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
- Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
- Delicate Steve - Positive Force
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- White Rose Movement - Kick
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
- Ginger - Mutation:The Frankenstein Effect
- Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Audio Orchestra - ...
- Ben Folds Five - The Sound of The Life of The Mind...
- Metallica - ...And Justice For All
- Nekromantik - Fairy Catcher
- ▼ January (60)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...