12 January 2013
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
It was a name I knew before I knew what punk rock was. Held in the same sort of infamy as the Sex Pistols (who turned out to be too soft for my tastes) and the Ramones (who I am still in the middle of a love/hate relationship with - in Facebook terms, it is complicated). It took me a while to hear them - my first ventures into punk were not as successful as I would have like - to put it bluntly, I had heard Napalm Death first, and wondered why punk sounded like a bunch of crying babies.
From the beginning of the 80's came this out of San Francisco and unleashed onto the world one of the most explosive and hate-fuelled albums that the world has ever seen. The production is a little tinny (even remastered) but that is part of it's charm. It is an album that runs on passion and heart, an album before pro-tools came about and auto corrected everything so it all sounded that same.
If you are not familiar with this album, then I will have to say this - if you say you like punk or alternative music and you do not like this album, please hand in your generation X badge and trade all your albums for the latest Lady Gaga record. This album is one of the genius points for the way alternative music came into being. I am sure if it was not for this album there would not have been a Nirvana, a Pixies, a Offspring, a Green Day, the list goes on and on. This album is so far and beyond it's time that it is still relevant now. If you change the people they were popping holes in then with today's political leader, it would be riding airwaves like a virus.
"Kill The Poor", "Viva Las Vegas", "Let's Lynch The Landlord", Chemical Warfare", if I was to name all the good songs I would just have to put a list of all the album tracks. It is a no brainer that I love this album, it is a bit of a non brainer that I don't really like any of their other stuff, maybe cause this is such a powerful, monumental statement it overshadows everything else they did - and as always, the fruit is fresh for everyone......
10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a God
You can buy from here
You can listen to on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (94)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Days of rest - part 4....I think.....
- Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar
- Circus of Power - Vices
- Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
- Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machin...
- Ed Sheeran - +
- VCMG - SSSS
- J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
- London Electricity - Billion Dollar Gravy
- The Levellers - Zeitgeist
- White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000 Songs of Love, De...
- Machine Head - Supercharger
- Rush - Snakes & Arrows
- Joy Division - Closer
- Gotye - Making Mirrors
- Jeff Wayne - The War of The Worlds
- The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
- New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
- Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
- Pig - Geniune American Monster
- Mansun - 6
- Silver Ginger 5 - Black Leather Mojo
- Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss
- Approaching treble figures......
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
- Two Lone Swordsmen - From The Double Gone Chapel
- Kiss - Hotter Than Hell
- Steve Harris - British Lion
- R.E.M. - Monster
- Sugar - Copper Blue
- Fear Factory - Demanufacture
- Everything Everything - Man Alive
- Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
- Bad Brains - Into The Future
- Mother Firefly - Silence Sez It All EP
- R.E.M. - Accelerate
- The Slackers - Self Medication
- Robert Logan - Inscape
- Morthem Vlade Art - Organic But Not Mental
- Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
- Public Image Limited - The Is PiL
- Edgard Varèse - Experimental Essentials
- Therapy? - One Cure Fits All
- Black Moth - The Killing Jar
- We Are Knuckle Dragger - Tit For Tat
- Far - At Night We Live
- Wam Bam, Thank You Ma'am!!! - Bowie through the ag...
- Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
- Ginger - Mutation:Error 500
- Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
- Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
- Delicate Steve - Positive Force
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- White Rose Movement - Kick
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
- Ginger - Mutation:The Frankenstein Effect
- Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Audio Orchestra - ...
- Ben Folds Five - The Sound of The Life of The Mind...
- Metallica - ...And Justice For All
- Nekromantik - Fairy Catcher
- ▼ January (60)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...
Sometimes albums come out of nowhere and for me this was one I was not expecting at all. Future Of The Left are a post hardcore band f...