12 January 2013

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables


It was a name I knew before I knew what punk rock was. Held in the same sort of infamy as the Sex Pistols (who turned out to be too soft for my tastes) and the Ramones (who I am still in the middle of a love/hate relationship with - in Facebook terms, it is complicated).  It took me a while to hear them - my first ventures into punk were not as successful as I would have like - to put it bluntly, I had heard Napalm Death first, and wondered why punk sounded like a bunch of crying babies.
From the beginning of the 80's came this out of San Francisco and unleashed onto the world one of the most explosive and hate-fuelled albums that the world has ever seen.  The production is a little tinny (even remastered) but that is part of it's charm. It is an album that runs on passion and heart, an album before pro-tools came about and auto corrected everything so it all sounded that same.

If you are not familiar with this album, then I will have to say this - if you say you like punk or alternative music and you do not like this album, please hand in your generation X badge and trade all your albums for the latest Lady Gaga record.  This album is one of the genius points for the way alternative music came into being.  I am sure if it was not for this album there would not have been a Nirvana, a Pixies, a Offspring, a Green Day, the list goes on and on. This album is so far and beyond it's time that it is still relevant now.  If you change the people they were popping holes in then with today's political leader, it would be riding airwaves like a virus.

"Kill The Poor", "Viva Las Vegas", "Let's Lynch The Landlord", Chemical Warfare", if I was to name all the good songs I would just have to put a list of all the album tracks.  It is a no brainer that I love this album, it is a bit of a non brainer that I don't really like any of their other stuff, maybe cause this is such a powerful, monumental statement it overshadows everything else they did - and as always, the fruit is fresh for everyone......

10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a God


You can buy from here

You can listen to on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate