16 January 2013
Bad Brains - Into The Future
Some bands just release something out of nowhere. Last year, the legends that are Bad Brains came forth with this little offering, being released as a tribute to the late Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys (who produced their last album - the marvellous Build A Nation which was released in 2007. So, a small gap between releases there (not as big as the last one, which was 1995 between releasing new material). So there was no excitement when it was release, just a sense of shock that it had came out of the blue. Upon researching this I see that it was announced in March that this was coming, but nothing reached Castle ATTIWLTMOWOS. Damm postie....
Now, for me I can never see past their first demos, which was released as Bad Brains. They were just so fuzzy, angry, dub heavy and feral that it has outshone the studio versions on other albums. This album does not eclipse that for, but I have to say I have not had so much fun with a new Bad Brains album in many years. Yes it is not as fast or as angry, but it is just a beast of a record. The balance between the two forces (dub/hardcore) is perfect on here. Dr. Know just nails the guitar time and time again on this album, H.R. sounds so graceful on this and the back line of Darryl Jenifer and Earl Hudson is on fire over the whole album.
From the opening intro of "Into The Future" to the wonderful tribute in "Mca dub" there is not one poor track, nothing that is making me question them coming back together as sometimes when band come back - even for a tribute for a fallen friend - it can all go wrong. But this album is a glowing tribute to the late Adam Yauch and also to the legacy of Bad Brains themselves. If they end with this, it would be a perfect album to end on - but I do hope they keep the fire going and continue. The well is not dry at all, this album is not looking back in to past glories but to the future and saying goodbye to a friend. An almost perfect album for me, almost.....
9 out of ten - Almost perfect....Almost
You can purchase from here
You can listen to on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Days of rest - part 4....I think.....
- Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar
- Circus of Power - Vices
- Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
- Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machin...
- Ed Sheeran - +
- VCMG - SSSS
- J Mascis - Several Shades of Why
- London Electricity - Billion Dollar Gravy
- The Levellers - Zeitgeist
- White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000 Songs of Love, De...
- Machine Head - Supercharger
- Rush - Snakes & Arrows
- Joy Division - Closer
- Gotye - Making Mirrors
- Jeff Wayne - The War of The Worlds
- The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
- New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation
- Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
- Pig - Geniune American Monster
- Mansun - 6
- Silver Ginger 5 - Black Leather Mojo
- Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss
- Approaching treble figures......
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
- Two Lone Swordsmen - From The Double Gone Chapel
- Kiss - Hotter Than Hell
- Steve Harris - British Lion
- R.E.M. - Monster
- Sugar - Copper Blue
- Fear Factory - Demanufacture
- Everything Everything - Man Alive
- Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
- Bad Brains - Into The Future
- Mother Firefly - Silence Sez It All EP
- R.E.M. - Accelerate
- The Slackers - Self Medication
- Robert Logan - Inscape
- Morthem Vlade Art - Organic But Not Mental
- Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables
- Public Image Limited - The Is PiL
- Edgard Varèse - Experimental Essentials
- Therapy? - One Cure Fits All
- Black Moth - The Killing Jar
- We Are Knuckle Dragger - Tit For Tat
- Far - At Night We Live
- Wam Bam, Thank You Ma'am!!! - Bowie through the ag...
- Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
- Ginger - Mutation:Error 500
- Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
- Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
- Delicate Steve - Positive Force
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
- White Rose Movement - Kick
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk
- Ginger - Mutation:The Frankenstein Effect
- Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Audio Orchestra - ...
- Ben Folds Five - The Sound of The Life of The Mind...
- Metallica - ...And Justice For All
- Nekromantik - Fairy Catcher
- ▼ January (60)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Well, what a year it has been for releases. 2015 has been an incredible year for me with records and for the blog as well - ...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Welcome to a roundup review! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bullet point reviews,...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...