2 December 2012
Tori Amos - Night of Hunters
So for the opening blog I am not going to go for an album I love. This is not even an album I like. It is one I am disappointed with.
Now for the record I want to say that I am a big fan of Tori Amos' back catalogue. Scarlet's Walk, Under The Pink - I even love Strange Little Girls with the Eminem and Slayer covers. The album starts off very promising, the opening song "Shattering Sea" was just a perfect opening shot. Tori has been making noises about doing a classical album for many a moon. So my expectations were high enough as I thought she would be the person to pull it off.
Alas, it starts to go downhill very quickly, each song does not really move on. Not that they are not played well. That might have made this more forgivable. "Battle of Trees" & "Fearlessness" are fine but no real variation of the opening theme. "Catcus Practice" sounds painful, doing a duet with her daughter whilst might have been a fun idea, the end result - for that song at least - just does not work.
I think maybe the main problem of this album is the fact I was expecting so much from it. I know that you should always go into an album with an open mind, but on this one I went in with a hope with was bored to death. I cannot fault the playing, as ever the piano is pitch perfect, but that cannot save the melodies, vocals and the pace. By the time I get to "Carry" I just want the album to finish. about 6 tracks earlier. This would have made a wonderful quirky ep. However it is just a disappointment of an album, one which I would say is for completest only. I know that there will be better to come, just next time I hope that their is some control on the length of the album.
3.5 out of 10 - Not for everyone, but played well.
To listen on Spotify
To purchase from Amazon
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (499)
- Conan - Monnos
- I have a mountain of work.....
- Oxbow - An Evil Heat
- The Mars Volta - Amputechture
- Ta-da!!! The first review top 50
- Blacklisters - BLKLSTRS
- Merry Christmas.....
- Top 100 albums that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L...
- The Muppets - The Muppets OST
- Waheela - Lost Murray
- Clutch - Clutch
- Jessie Ware - Devotion
- Koop - Koop Islands
- Grinderman - Grinderman 2
- Incoming message
- Top 200 songs that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L....
- Ghost - Opus Eponymous
- Weather Report - Sweetnighter
- Nutmeg - The Trigger
- Mastodon - Blood Mountain
- Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5
- Def Con One - Warface
- Waves on Canvas - Into the Northsea
- Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve
- The Futureheads - The Chaos
- Frank Zappa - Civilization Phaze III
- The Night Marchers - See You In Magic
- Crashland - Glued
- The Union - The Union
- Zen Guerrilla - Shadows On The Sun
- Black Spiders - Sons Of The North
- Hail Social - Hail Social
- Amen - We Have Come For Your Parents
- Day of rest..... number 1
- The Afghan Whigs - Black Love
- The Twilight Singers - She Loves You
- Elton John - Caribou
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
- Iggy Pop & The Stoogies - Raw Power
- Architecture In Hellsinki - In Case We Die
- Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers...
- Regina Spektor - Far
- Far - Water & Solutions
- Machine Head - Unto The Locust
- Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
- Prince - The Gold Experience
- Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
- Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves
- Future of The Left - Last Night I Saved Her From V...
- Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday
- Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
- Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks
- Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
- The Jesus Lizard - Shot
- Descendents - Everything Sucks
- Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
- Coachwhips - Bangers Vs Fuckers
- Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs
- Officer Jones And His Patrol Car Problems - Memori...
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Ben...
- Tori Amos - Night of Hunters
- Let's begin at the beginning
- ▼ December (62)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Well, what a year it has been for releases. 2015 has been an incredible year for me with records and for the blog as well - ...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
The legend of Bootsy Collins, the image of the man has long been etched into my mind. What can I say here that has not been said b...