3 December 2012
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
For my first review of The Great Wazoo, him who shall not be questions (even when he is wrong), the one and only - Frank Vincent Zappa - is no an album I am over familiar with. To be totally honest, the guy did so much music and they are still achieves of his stuff which is getting released all the time. Even in my life time, I don't reckon it will all be released.
But this is not a time to discuss the man, the myth, the anti-hero. No, it is a time to discuss an album. From 1972 and following Just Another Band From L.A., this album is seen as the follow up to one of his earlier works - Hot Rats. See, the name is on the taps......sigh.....
So, four songs long - two big out there numbers with lots of variation in the form of the title track and "Big Swifty" which are separated by "Your Mouth" and "It's A One Shot Deal". As seems to be the theme of the day, another short album clocking in around 30-ish minutes and it is one the does not out stay it's welcome. Quite far from it - once it finished I wanted to hear it again. This is not unusual with me and Zappa as might become apparent. But now to look at it without the rose tinted spectacles and to compare it to how I mark things. This is a very easy Zappa album, not too taking as others or even that out there as something like Jazz From Hell for example. You could easily have this on in the background for a party, in a Sunday pub situation or on your ipod/disc-man/whateverprotalabledeviceyouuseathon.
But easy Zappa is sometimes a bit wrong. Not saying that everything should be at a pitch where you are reaching for something to easy the pain, like sandpaper. But it feels like a comfy pair of jeans or slippers. You like them, fun to be around but you wouldn't show them off as your best piece of fashion. Also, after the second listen of this - which was as enjoyable as the first - the player went onto another Zappa album which will be looked at another time called The Yellow Shark. And I think that was a little unfair on Waka/Jawaka as it was sort of like your local pub band being followed by The Rolling Stone. They are in different leagues. Waka/Jawaka is one for the Zappa worshippers, the purist and would be at home in any rock and jazz collection. But not really one for the outsider to this sphere of joy (IE the general public). Sometimes it is good to be on the outside now as Frank almost put it. He was right, and in his company it is always welcoming. So whilst it seems like I am giving this a low mark, it is only in comparison to the rest of his work. Even his off days are better than some bands top night.
6.95 out of ten - Now I see where you were going, but not quite there
You can purchase from here
You can listen here on Spotify
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (499)
- Conan - Monnos
- I have a mountain of work.....
- Oxbow - An Evil Heat
- The Mars Volta - Amputechture
- Ta-da!!! The first review top 50
- Blacklisters - BLKLSTRS
- Merry Christmas.....
- Top 100 albums that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L...
- The Muppets - The Muppets OST
- Waheela - Lost Murray
- Clutch - Clutch
- Jessie Ware - Devotion
- Koop - Koop Islands
- Grinderman - Grinderman 2
- Incoming message
- Top 200 songs that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L....
- Ghost - Opus Eponymous
- Weather Report - Sweetnighter
- Nutmeg - The Trigger
- Mastodon - Blood Mountain
- Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5
- Def Con One - Warface
- Waves on Canvas - Into the Northsea
- Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve
- The Futureheads - The Chaos
- Frank Zappa - Civilization Phaze III
- The Night Marchers - See You In Magic
- Crashland - Glued
- The Union - The Union
- Zen Guerrilla - Shadows On The Sun
- Black Spiders - Sons Of The North
- Hail Social - Hail Social
- Amen - We Have Come For Your Parents
- Day of rest..... number 1
- The Afghan Whigs - Black Love
- The Twilight Singers - She Loves You
- Elton John - Caribou
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
- Iggy Pop & The Stoogies - Raw Power
- Architecture In Hellsinki - In Case We Die
- Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers...
- Regina Spektor - Far
- Far - Water & Solutions
- Machine Head - Unto The Locust
- Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
- Prince - The Gold Experience
- Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
- Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves
- Future of The Left - Last Night I Saved Her From V...
- Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday
- Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
- Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks
- Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
- The Jesus Lizard - Shot
- Descendents - Everything Sucks
- Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
- Coachwhips - Bangers Vs Fuckers
- Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs
- Officer Jones And His Patrol Car Problems - Memori...
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Ben...
- Tori Amos - Night of Hunters
- Let's begin at the beginning
- ▼ December (62)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Rightly or wrongly, They Might Be Giants will always be viewed as a ‘One Hit Wonder’ in the UK, which is a shame. If you mention thei...
Ryan Hamilton is an all-round legend in my books. I recently conducted an interview with him for my radio show on NE1FM called Attentio...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
New Language (stylised NEW LANGUAGE) is a band I found out about early this year whilst looking for songs for my radio show. As with a f...
Ghost//Signals are one of my favourite groups in Newcastle right now, together with The NX, Dunes and Waheela. Last year, their second s...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
Welcome to the final round-up review of 2017! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bull...