24 December 2012

Blacklisters - BLKLSTRS


Sometimes something comes along that should be getting more praise than it deserves. Sometimes something comes along that does not any praise at all.  Then you have the something that comes, gets the praise - but does not get the public or the imagination.  I'd heard of this band before hearing them.  Some reports were good, some were very critical - so being a curious chap I went to find out what was happening....

From Leeds these four very angry men have come to drink your drink, take your significant other, dethrone you as the leader of your gang and that is just for starts. This has more in common with Helmet, Hog Molly, Melvins and Nirvana. It is a very retro album in a way, but it also looks forward as well.  Starting with the brilliantly titled "Clubfoot By Kasabian" it never really gets any less intense even in the quieter moments like "I Can Confirm That Ruth Abigail Holmes Is Not Dead and Is Planning to Make a Movie About Her Life" and "Nice Garden".

Usually after this point I try to give a slightly negative thing to sort of balance out the review. Try to see if there are any flaws or if there is anything that could have been improved.  But I cannot think of anything I would change about this album or that I don't like.  I love "Swords". I love "Ask Yourself a Question if the Answer Is Go Fuck Yourself". If it was not for Ginger doing his best Frank Zappa impression - "Trickfuck" would have been my best song of the year.  It is just as near a perfect album as I have had the pleasure to hear all this year.

I did get to catch these guys live at the Damnation Festival in Leeds - if you like metal, make a point of going next year - and these guys had been on the road with Pig Destroyer.  I'm guessing that they had been trying to match Pig Destroyer on the drinks front as the lead sing looked like someone had just pissed him some eyes.  They looked knackered, broken and yet they pulled out an astounding performance - and that was on a bad day! This band are ones to watch for me, they deserve the praise and I hope they get to go far as they are just a little gem in a sea of mediocre.  I deliberately left this off the first 50 to be fair to the other albums and also because I wanted to put up my albums of the year.  It is an album that needs to be heard.  Well, what are you waiting for......

10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a God.

You can purchase from here (MP3 Only)

You can purchase from here as well

You can listen to on Spotify here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past sermons

Greatest hits

Translate