24 December 2012
Blacklisters - BLKLSTRS
Sometimes something comes along that should be getting more praise than it deserves. Sometimes something comes along that does not any praise at all. Then you have the something that comes, gets the praise - but does not get the public or the imagination. I'd heard of this band before hearing them. Some reports were good, some were very critical - so being a curious chap I went to find out what was happening....
From Leeds these four very angry men have come to drink your drink, take your significant other, dethrone you as the leader of your gang and that is just for starts. This has more in common with Helmet, Hog Molly, Melvins and Nirvana. It is a very retro album in a way, but it also looks forward as well. Starting with the brilliantly titled "Clubfoot By Kasabian" it never really gets any less intense even in the quieter moments like "I Can Confirm That Ruth Abigail Holmes Is Not Dead and Is Planning to Make a Movie About Her Life" and "Nice Garden".
Usually after this point I try to give a slightly negative thing to sort of balance out the review. Try to see if there are any flaws or if there is anything that could have been improved. But I cannot think of anything I would change about this album or that I don't like. I love "Swords". I love "Ask Yourself a Question if the Answer Is Go Fuck Yourself". If it was not for Ginger doing his best Frank Zappa impression - "Trickfuck" would have been my best song of the year. It is just as near a perfect album as I have had the pleasure to hear all this year.
I did get to catch these guys live at the Damnation Festival in Leeds - if you like metal, make a point of going next year - and these guys had been on the road with Pig Destroyer. I'm guessing that they had been trying to match Pig Destroyer on the drinks front as the lead sing looked like someone had just pissed him some eyes. They looked knackered, broken and yet they pulled out an astounding performance - and that was on a bad day! This band are ones to watch for me, they deserve the praise and I hope they get to go far as they are just a little gem in a sea of mediocre. I deliberately left this off the first 50 to be fair to the other albums and also because I wanted to put up my albums of the year. It is an album that needs to be heard. Well, what are you waiting for......
10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a God.
You can purchase from here (MP3 Only)
You can purchase from here as well
You can listen to on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (149)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (499)
- Conan - Monnos
- I have a mountain of work.....
- Oxbow - An Evil Heat
- The Mars Volta - Amputechture
- Ta-da!!! The first review top 50
- Blacklisters - BLKLSTRS
- Merry Christmas.....
- Top 100 albums that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L...
- The Muppets - The Muppets OST
- Waheela - Lost Murray
- Clutch - Clutch
- Jessie Ware - Devotion
- Koop - Koop Islands
- Grinderman - Grinderman 2
- Incoming message
- Top 200 songs that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L....
- Ghost - Opus Eponymous
- Weather Report - Sweetnighter
- Nutmeg - The Trigger
- Mastodon - Blood Mountain
- Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5
- Def Con One - Warface
- Waves on Canvas - Into the Northsea
- Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve
- The Futureheads - The Chaos
- Frank Zappa - Civilization Phaze III
- The Night Marchers - See You In Magic
- Crashland - Glued
- The Union - The Union
- Zen Guerrilla - Shadows On The Sun
- Black Spiders - Sons Of The North
- Hail Social - Hail Social
- Amen - We Have Come For Your Parents
- Day of rest..... number 1
- The Afghan Whigs - Black Love
- The Twilight Singers - She Loves You
- Elton John - Caribou
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
- Iggy Pop & The Stoogies - Raw Power
- Architecture In Hellsinki - In Case We Die
- Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers...
- Regina Spektor - Far
- Far - Water & Solutions
- Machine Head - Unto The Locust
- Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
- Prince - The Gold Experience
- Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
- Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves
- Future of The Left - Last Night I Saved Her From V...
- Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday
- Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
- Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks
- Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
- The Jesus Lizard - Shot
- Descendents - Everything Sucks
- Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
- Coachwhips - Bangers Vs Fuckers
- Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs
- Officer Jones And His Patrol Car Problems - Memori...
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Ben...
- Tori Amos - Night of Hunters
- Let's begin at the beginning
- ▼ December (62)
So, we have reached the end of the year and it's been an eventful 12 months! So much has happened, the standard of the records rel...
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Who doesn't like an end of year list? No-one! They tell you they don't, but inside they secretly do. So, as we approach the e...
Well, what a year it has been for releases. 2015 has been an incredible year for me with records and for the blog as well - ...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
I never thought I would get the change chance to review a new album by Iron Monkey. It just didn’t seem possible for this legendary act...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Alice Cooper is a legend that really doesn't need any introduction, if you're new to the game then you've got a little bit ...
Welcome to a roundup review! Similar to the Round-Up posts I put up earlier in the year, I’m going to be posting some bullet point reviews,...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...