2 December 2012
Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs
This is the first (and not the last) of many a reviews I will probably do about this man. Released in 2001 this was the first album released by Messier Folds after the break up of his previous band - Ben Folds Five. Whilst no reason for the split was ever given apart form that it was amicable, this is not a million miles or even 10 metres away from some of the musical themes that have always been Ben Folds signature.
Starting with "Annie Waits" with it's simple piano and clapping you are placed in the zone that usually read - no guitars will be played here (Ben Folds Five were a three piece, with piano, bass and drums). But this was the first album that Mr Folds did use guitars on - the best examples are the title track & "Carrying Cathy".
The main thing that also came on in leaps and bound here was his story telling. Loss - "Carrying Cathy", Fatherhood - "Still Fighting It", Age "Fred Jones Part 2" - all covered with the sensitivity and care than he showed in BFF just seemed to take a sonic leap on this album. The stand out moments for me are the songs "Not The Same" and "The Luckiest". The first being a wonderful story about a friend of Mr Folds who went up a tree whilst tripping at a party and came down a born again christian and the later a heartfelt ballad about the current love of his life at that point.
All in all, this is the most complete album by Ben Folds. It has rock out tunes, sarcasm (very rare in an American), joyful sing-along moments and heartbreaking melodies that should make the coldest hearts break. If a wondering piano man is what you need, this is a very good place to start.
10 out of 10 - This is proof that there is a god
You can purchase from here
You can listen to on Spotify here
- ► 2017 (120)
- ► 2016 (249)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (499)
- Conan - Monnos
- I have a mountain of work.....
- Oxbow - An Evil Heat
- The Mars Volta - Amputechture
- Ta-da!!! The first review top 50
- Blacklisters - BLKLSTRS
- Merry Christmas.....
- Top 100 albums that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L...
- The Muppets - The Muppets OST
- Waheela - Lost Murray
- Clutch - Clutch
- Jessie Ware - Devotion
- Koop - Koop Islands
- Grinderman - Grinderman 2
- Incoming message
- Top 200 songs that have rocked Castle A.T.T.I.W.L....
- Ghost - Opus Eponymous
- Weather Report - Sweetnighter
- Nutmeg - The Trigger
- Mastodon - Blood Mountain
- Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5
- Def Con One - Warface
- Waves on Canvas - Into the Northsea
- Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve
- The Futureheads - The Chaos
- Frank Zappa - Civilization Phaze III
- The Night Marchers - See You In Magic
- Crashland - Glued
- The Union - The Union
- Zen Guerrilla - Shadows On The Sun
- Black Spiders - Sons Of The North
- Hail Social - Hail Social
- Amen - We Have Come For Your Parents
- Day of rest..... number 1
- The Afghan Whigs - Black Love
- The Twilight Singers - She Loves You
- Elton John - Caribou
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
- Iggy Pop & The Stoogies - Raw Power
- Architecture In Hellsinki - In Case We Die
- Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers...
- Regina Spektor - Far
- Far - Water & Solutions
- Machine Head - Unto The Locust
- Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
- Prince - The Gold Experience
- Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
- Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves
- Future of The Left - Last Night I Saved Her From V...
- Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday
- Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
- Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks
- Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
- The Jesus Lizard - Shot
- Descendents - Everything Sucks
- Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
- Coachwhips - Bangers Vs Fuckers
- Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs
- Officer Jones And His Patrol Car Problems - Memori...
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Ben...
- Tori Amos - Night of Hunters
- Let's begin at the beginning
- ▼ December (62)
Has it really been that long ago since I started this blog? The first post (cleverly linked here) was posted on the 2nd December (o...
Seems like an apt image for the year (the other was the Grim Reaper laughing), 2016 has been a bit of a shit year in some ways and in oth...
As regular visitors for this page will know, the best percentage of the team enjoy the songs of Ginger Wildheart; the man has made som...
Right, Album Of The Year time then. It's something I pour far too much energy into and have been carefully adjusting my list all year ...
This is a review of the first Country/Folk album from Ginger Wildheart, this album has been released via Pledgemusic once again and is...
Link 1: Blabbermouth announcing the release of Metal Resistance. Link 2: Metal Injection discussing the release of Metal Resistance ...
Until two months ago, I had never heard of the Sleaford Mods. Like ships in the night, they had passed me by as I watch/listened to othe...
If it was not for the legend that is Luke Dunmore, I would not have ever heard of The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets! My ex-partner i...
Life of Agony can never be accused of taking the easy route, that is something that can be said for them. It could be the fact that the...
Sometimes albums come out of nowhere and for me this was one I was not expecting at all. Future Of The Left are a post hardcore band f...